Need Ford frame info

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2002, 07:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need Ford frame info

Just picked up a '51 Studebaker 3/4-ton long-bed pickup to be built into a tow vehicle for my '67 Olds 442. Since I want reliability, I simply want to mount the Stude body on a Ford 1-ton dually chassis. I've spent the past hour checking out this site and numerous other Ford sites, but can't find some very basic info on frames. I'm finding a lot of "How to bolt on a bug deflector" pages, but nothing with hard-core data and dimensions.

I found out today a friend of a friend could be giving me what I was told was an '80s 1-ton dually chassis w/standard cab and a 460. I'd be interested in going to get this, but before I make the the 3-hour trip to check it out, I was hoping to get some basic info, such as:

1) When and on what vehicles did Ford NOT use the Twin I-Beam suspension? I would prefer to not use this, I want a straight axle.
2) What is the frame width at about halfway back, around where the rear cab mounts would be?

I've included a pic of my Stude at http://www.OLDSmobility.com/stude/images/Stude7.jpg.

I know a lot of you probably take this basic kind of info for granted, but I'm at a loss of where to find it online. I'm surprised I'm having as much trouble as I am.

THANKS!

Keith

Quick Reply: Need Ford frame info