Truck is leaning...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2002, 03:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck is leaning...

My truck is leaning to the left (from behind) and I have been hearing some odd noises coming from around the front left wheel area (soft metallic clanking)... Also... when I go around turns at normal speeds the front left wheel is squealing like im taking the turn at formula one speeds. Any ideas? I have been under the truck a few times and I am unable to pinpoint the problem. Other than this the truck drives fine. I noticed the problem 2 weeks ago...

Old 07-23-2002, 05:24 PM
leaning problem- have you made sure its not just leaning when your tank is full...sounds stupid, but a full 25gal gas tank on one side of the truck will make it lean a little...
if its leaning more than a little...
saggy leaf springs most likely...mine leaned and i had to replace parts of my rearend (leaf springs included)...it helped (but it still leans a little :o )

metallic-y sound-

Old 07-23-2002, 06:45 PM
The front end leans as well... it's quote noticeable... my tank is on empty right now and there is no change in the leaning...

Old 07-23-2002, 07:10 PM
If the entire side (front and back) is leaning, then it could be a torsion bar related problem...

The torsion bars change the degree at which the wheel sits in it's flexing parameters...in other words, it will lift or lower the truck...there are two bolts and these can be adjusted with some WD-40 and a socket wrench. Follow the bars under the truck running from the front suspension back into a bar perpindicular the length of the truck. Where these bars end, you will notice a bolt inside the bar that you can turn which will in turn, rotate each bar. Tightening the bolt will lift the truck, loosening will lower it...if you turn the bolt too much, then you might find your alignment will go bad because you have put the tire at more of an angle to the ground as you lifted and lowered it...this is not a serious thing but the truck will require an alignment if you leave it at this setting...

The torsion bar solution is always a free fix if you dont figure out what is wrong...i noticed mine always leaned...i hardly ever notice it anymore thanks to the torsion bars...and i think it has more to do with the gas tank and ground level now when and if it does...

Just something to check or a free solution

Old 07-24-2002, 05:28 PM
Thanks I'm going to take a look at that now. What would cause a torsion bar angle to go out of whack?

Old 07-26-2002, 03:39 AM
technically it shouldn't but...potholes and all that alignment crud could do it along the way i'd imagine. Best bet is to do this unless you find a problem that needs addressing...

Old 08-02-2002, 03:30 PM
Any other ideas? I still can't find the problem.

Old 08-07-2002, 03:19 PM
Broken back leaf spring? it can often be the culprit. If they are broken, replace them with new. You cant re-arch springs and expect to get out thousands of miles of beating by cold pressing them.

Quick Reply: Truck is leaning...