Whiplash 10" lift kit

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2002, 01:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Whiplash 10" lift kit

Anyone use this kit yet? I know it's a fairly new company and I'm trying to see how well the kit actually stands up. If you've got the kit installed and have some pics or tips, post em' here!

If you wanna check out the site heres a link

http://www.whiplashsuspensions.com/

Jason

Old 07-15-2002, 02:52 PM
I think a lot of people on these boards were really skeptical about this lift and this company for quite sometime. I've seen 11 different 8"-13" whiplash applications now, and I can honestly say this kit is awesome. It has many drawbacks however. For instance, once you have 13" of lift, you'll want to stick 42" tires on...this is a bad idea...the lift wont wear out the components near as bad as the tires will. The lift comes very disassembled. Whereas most lifts are pretty straight forward and bolt on, this kit is far from it. Lots of drilling, making new holes, etc, etc in order to get it on right. If you know what you are doing this is not a problem, but it is far more difficult than a 4 or 6" suspension install. And MUCH harder than a body lift, plus you have to have the right tools, and it requires a tool shed full. After saying that, I will say this. B&C Offroad in pasadena, tx does these lifts on a daily basis. The other day when i stopped by they had 5 completed trucks/SUVs with Whiplash lifts sitting outside and at least 3 inside being worked on...all were getting whiplash added. B&C does awesome work, but they are a very good installer for lifts...they powdercoat and weld everything together, even if not required to add strength and durability to the lifts. The last whiplash lift i saw leave there was on a 2002 Chevy 1500 and it had 39s on it with PLENTY of room to spare. The lift looked perfect on there with a great weld bead and a beautiful powdercoat black finish. It looked like they had done it a million times before (and i think they are getting close). The worst thing about these lifts is their cost however. You'll spend 5G's by the time you buy the tires, rims, lift and get it installed (do not try this yourself...unless you can custom build your own suspension anyways. Hats off to B&C and Whiplash...they've made the streets and fields of the Southern Houston area full of monster trucks...

Old 07-15-2002, 03:27 PM
I'm glad to hear some positive feedback on the Whiplash Suspension products. My only concern was just born when I went up to Pungo Off-road and talked to the guy there about it. He said whiplash has been sued six times, and even has a second company with a diferent name just to avoid more suits, called FullThrottleSuspension. It's the same kits, just a diferent name. He showed me a Dodge Ram that had the 10 in. kit, and spotted out the 6 places on the frame where the frame had cracked.

Old 07-15-2002, 04:03 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you talking about the same red 2002 Ram Quadcab recently featured in OFF-ROAD Magazine? I remember that it had a 10 inch Full Throttle Suspension lift.

Old 07-15-2002, 06:02 PM
I was aware that Full Throttle Suspension built the near exact same lift as Whiplash....however there are some minute differences...only one i can think of...but thats a real possibility. I think the lifts tend not to hold up real well when people stick 44s on a stock frame. It's not the lift...its the tires. People just think that because they can fit em, its ok to stick em on there...these things were not made for 150 lb. tires & wheels on each corner...they were made for like 40 lbs...

When people start offroading with 44s and too small of a frame & tiny axles, stuff breaks...its just the way it works...i think the kit is ok...just not the tires...if i went with whiplash, i would take off my 3" body and put on like 38s, and even then, thats pretty big. However, i bet that none of those broken trucks were superduties or heavy duties, cause those can handle the tire size better...its all about balance...

If you go with whiplash, just make sure you get it done RIGHT, and make sure that you upgrade to accomodate bigger tires, or don't go too big in the first place...

And don't get in a wreck...you stick anything aftermarket like that on your truck and you risk a lot more damage if you get in an accident ...i dont care if its a 3" body or a 10" suspension...

Old 07-15-2002, 08:36 PM
thanks

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll stick to your advice. I dont want tires bigger than 38 anyways. And I'm gonna make sure I weld the kit on.

Old 07-15-2002, 10:27 PM
From what i've heard it is a good kit, it rides good on the road, but it is mostly for looks. A lift that high is impractical for offroading.

And yes if you go with any tires bigger than stock it will beat the crap out of your suspension. But then again every time you modify your truck you are sacrificing something for that performance. I am perfectly all right with the fact that my truck needs brakes, wheel bearings and ball joints every 20,000 miles, with the big tires i can run lots of stuff over so it kind of makes up for it If you went with a F-350 or bigger it would handle the tires better without as much wear and tear.

With a lift that high you can't expect the kit to be bolt on since all the suspension angles change and your going to need a lot more support, but if it's correctly installed and you get used to driving the big truck it's as safe as any vehicle on the road. I feel safer in my truck now that its lifted. If i get t-boned by a car, instead of hitting my drivers door they will get a windshield ful of frame and driveshafts. It's safer for me, but not for them.

Like i said i don't have a whiplash kit this is just stuff i heard about them. I'm running a 6" SuperLift and 3" PA Body lift.

-Jon

Quick Reply: Whiplash 10" lift kit