New Truck Owner

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2002, 10:29 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Truck Owner

Hi folks,

I'm a real neophyte. Just bougt a 1999 an F150 XLT, supercab. I would like to carry two snowmobiles ON the truck. Maximum payload is the question. In the handbook, I note indicated maximum trailer tow load is 7700 lbs. However, payload is not discussed.

Is determining the vehicle payload capicity as simple as 1.) weighing my truck and 2.) subtracting this weight from the two-axle rating found on the driver's side door?

Some 'net' research suggests that if my payload capicity is under that needed, this can be rectified by simply installing 'air bags' (what ever that is)??

Any assistance is appriciated.

Tony

Old 07-09-2002, 05:19 PM
Well I dont know the specific payload of your truck...however, air bags are those bags that go in between your spring and axle and they you a compressor to pump air in em and lift the truck higher...however, I really dont know if I would put more on the truck than recommended, airbags or not...of course, I dont know much about these...so I'm hoping someone else will be able to help ya out...

Old 07-18-2002, 08:59 PM
Exclamation

My understanding has always been that the maximum payload should never be exceeded. Items such as air springs, overload springs, etc. just help in carrying your load and shouldn't be used to justify loading your truck beyond the maximum. Your maximum GVW includes everything in your truck (its weight, weight of accessories/add-ons, people, cargo, etc.). The maximum is listed on the sticker you're referring to.

Quick Reply: New Truck Owner