Truck seems to sway

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 10:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Truck seems to sway

I am new to the forum, and I need some help, I got a new Supercrew 4x4 FX and it seems to sway when I go by trucks on exspressways worse than anything I have ever driven, or if you turn the wheel back and forth driving slow it seems to roll in the back. Im worried about towing a trailer. Could it be that it just sits up to high. Help!

Old 07-06-2002, 11:22 PM
Welcome to the message board.

To what are you comparing your new truck?

Tire pressure and style plays a significant role (e.g.: "P" series tires have noticeably different lateral stability than do "LT" series tires).

If you are new to trucks, quick lane-change maneuvers should be carefully calculated and meticulously executed.

Correct front wheel alignment is essential.

Old 07-06-2002, 11:36 PM
Raise you tire pressure....

...paying careful attention to the numbers listed on the tires. i find I like mine between 35- and 40-psi, cold.

Additionally, a SuperCrew has a heck of a lot of wind resistance (lots of cab area) and so is very vulnerable to wind and drafts off other vehicles. Sway bars (Hellwig seems to be a very popular brand, front and rear) supposedly dramatically improve the situation.

I don't know if you have ever driven a full size van or container truck (I've done both), but if you haven't, I think you would be surprised at how much these (relatively) hollow big vehicles move in the air current they experience on the highway.

Old 07-07-2002, 11:29 PM
My new S Crew had one of the anti-sway bar bolts entirely missing. Over several thousand miles the bracket peeled back and left me with a rather ineffective anti-sway bar. You likely don't have my problem, but it might be worth making sure the bolts are there.

If you mean "sway" and not "change lanes" then I'm surprised. My S Crew is very stable, even with a trailer. I even towed with the sway bar half off and things were fine. I've never had a bit of sway, even at high speeds.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:53 AM
Alcarp,

My 4x2 SuperC did the same thing until I put some decent shocks, replaced the front sway bar and installed a rear sway bar. (Shocks: Edelbrock IAS / Bars: Hellwig Sporttech).

Old 07-08-2002, 02:48 PM
I have noticed the same thing on my '01 4x4. with the P-metric 17" tires. I've driven many, many similar F-150's and none have been as bad as mine - comparing exactly the same truck with LT's and P-metrics and did not notice much difference. I've also played with tire pressures with no luck. Must be compliance somewhere else.

Old 07-08-2002, 08:29 PM
Thank you guys for your advice, I feel like sway bars are the way to go.

Old 07-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Alcarp,

Unloaded, do you feel like you are driving a boat on a highway of water? In high winds/gusts, do you feel like you are getting a flat(s) on the one side of the vehicle? If so, you have a truck! ha!

My 99' F-150 supercab flareside (unloaded) did the above and more!

Here is what I have done and will do:

(1) Front and rear Hellwig swaybars-Hellwig and Hotckis are the largest diameter, but Hellwig is a lot cheaper, but the front Hotckis bar is hollow and is suppose to provide quicker response.

They helped alot, especially the rear one, but still had body roll and boat like steering.

(2) Got a CheckMate flush hard bed cover (cheapest I could find at $329+shipping. Reduced body roll a little.

(3) DJM drop kit-Got it new at half price in the classifieds. It was a 2/4 kit with drop shocks. I was trying to adjust it it to a 2/3 but wanted the same or less tire to fender space in the front, so I adjusted it for only a 2/2 drop and installed the shocks.

The results are awsome! Very little body roll, it huggs the road in corners, and my steering is more sensitive and I have more control and feel connected to the road! Its great.

But, I still have stock 16 inch rims and terrible 265/75/16s that are only P rated (passenger) with a max. tire pressure of 35 pounds!?! This is a 31.6 inch tall tire that has way too much sidewall flex. Therefore....

I just bought some 17 inch rims off ebay (new chromed OEM directionals for $390). I intend to get some actual sporttruck Pirelle Scoprion tires in 275/55/17. This will give me a wide and short (28.9 inch tall) Light Truck (LT) rated tire (51 max.psi.) The short tire with the 17 inch rim will give me a short sidewall (but not too short like the Lightning 295/45/18s) for a stiffer ride, far less sidewall flex, even more steering control and I should not crack a rim (like you can with too low a profile tire on a 5,000 pound vehicle).

Of everything I have researched and experienced I would say the main things are a rear swaybar, stiffer shocks and LT rated shorter tires.

Well of course, you could just keep the bed loaded down! ha!

Old 07-09-2002, 12:19 AM
Wink

Alcarp...

I agree with most comments on this thread. Personally, I replaced my OEM shocks with adjustable Rancho RS9000's adn added Hellwig's Rear Sway Bar. These changes alone made all the differnece for me.

I tow a 26 FT. TT and the sway is completed eliminated now.

My only suggestion reagrding P versus LT rated tires, 16" versus 17" would be to consider where you do the majority of your driving. Is it on nice paved roads, will you be doing much off-roading? Will you be towing? Some things to consider.

IMHO I would start with the shocks and sway bar first.

Quick Reply: Truck seems to sway