Clunking in the front end on takeoff.

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 10:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Clunking in the front end on takeoff.

Here it is............

My ride has developed a clunk in the right front upon initial takeoff. Sometimes loud, sometimes soft, sometimes not at all.
It sounds like it might be the caliper, but it has never done it during braking. Only on takeoff after braking to a stop. It seems more pronounced on uphill starts. If I ride the brake a bit on launch, it doesn't seem to want to clunk, hence my caliper theory. It has not clunked while moving ( only the tranny does that).
A visual inspection reveals zero. The only recent changes are the addition of Edelbrock IAS shocks. The bolts are tight and the bushings look fine and the noise didn't not begin until well after the install.

Any Ideas..........?

Clem

Old 07-04-2002, 03:33 PM
Clem

How many miles on your truck? Has your idler arm ever been greased? Mine started clunking shortly before 15,000 - the idler arm appeared dry when I greased it. The clunk hasn't come back. Look for two fittings, on top at one end, on the bottom of the other.

Old 07-04-2002, 03:38 PM
Guy21,

I'm at 29K and no, my idler arm has never been greased. I'll give a look as soon as the temp drops below 100 here. I'll go ahead a grease it whether it looks like it needs it or not.

Thanks for your response. I'll let you know the outcome.

Clem

Quick Reply: Clunking in the front end on takeoff.