cant get off hangers help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2002, 12:37 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation cant get off hangers help!

i was installing my djm drop this weekend but i was only able to do a 2/2 drop because i couldnt get the hangers off...i used an angle grinder and got the heads of the rivets off but now i dont know how to get the rest of it out i really need help i dont wanna drive my truck too much without the rivet heads on i dont want the hanger to fall off while im drivin around.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:28 AM
DO NOT DRIVE YOUR TRUCK!

If you are serious, and you have ground the rivet head flush with hanger wall, you should not drive it at all, until you change the hangers out.

Go get an air chisel.

Last edited by iron horse; 07-02-2002 at 04:02 AM.
Old 07-02-2002, 09:36 AM
air chisel to get the head off and flush with the hanger, then air hammer to drive it out. I don't think you are going to drive it out with a regular hammer. Mine were a pain to get out but they will come out.

agree with iron horse: DO NOT DRIVE YOUR TRUCK, if you have removed the heads of the bolts.

Old 07-02-2002, 07:33 PM
The rivets are a pain in the a@@ to get out!! Even after cutting the heads off they do not pop out easily. They expand inside the hole when they are installed. After cutting the heads off, I drilled a hole into the rivet itself right at the edge of the hole in the frame. This allows the rivets to fold a bit as you drive them out.

Old 07-03-2002, 12:52 AM
98 lariat,

Sorry for the earlier post that lacked details. I was right in the middle of my DJM 2/4 kit install. I did not actually use an air chisel. But, it will save you a lot of he**! ha! A plasma cutter it suppose to be the best. I recommend that you do a search in this site and type in "rivet" under the suspension category. You will see all the agony and glory of rivet he**! ha!

Okay, this is what I did.

I used a hand grinder, 4 grinding disks, socket that is a little smaller than the rivet (9 or 10 mm), visegrips, and a very important tool- short handle 3lb slege hammer.

I used a cheap no name brand hand grinder and four (4) metal grinding disks (a "diamond dust" grinding disk is suppose to be the best but cost around $50 for just the disk).

immediately after grinding the rivets flush (hanger is already off of course) and the rivets were hot, I placed the visegripped socket against the rivet and hit the he** out of it from 4 to 7 times and the rivets popped out. The key is to hit the rivet when they are still hot from grinding on them and most important of all, use a short handled "mini" sledge hammer that is at least 3lb in weight and has a head that is short in lenght. The combo of a short socket as a center punch, short handle on sledge hammer and the heaviest hammer with the shortest head enables you the most leverage.

However. two of the rivets had cooled down and after hitting them 6 or 7 times, they popped out.

Good luck and be safe.

Old 07-06-2002, 10:19 AM
98 lariat,

Did you get the rivets off?

Old 07-08-2002, 01:28 AM
no i havent tried to get them off yet i have actually been out of town but i will hopefully be able to get them off this week... i appreciate the help.

Quick Reply: cant get off hangers help!