Lifting Trucks an Addiction? (long)

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 01:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lifting Trucks an Addiction? (long)

Well, I've had my 4x2 F150 for about 4 years now and just started adding mods this past year. As far a lifting went, all I EVER wanted to do was get a 3" body lift so that the truck sat a little higher and I could get some bigger tires. That's all!!! I just knew that it would look good and that I would be happy with just doing that to it... nothing more... finished. So I went last month and had the body lift done. It looked great. I absolutely loved it. Everytime I got in the truck I felt like I had to leap up into the cab! While I was driving, I felt like I was in Bigfoot looking down on everyone! My one suspension mod that I wanted to do was done! Well, needless to say, it's only been about 3 weeks since the body lift and my truck just doesn't seem that tall anymore. I can easily get into and out of the cab now. When driving, I no longer feel like I'm in Bigfoot, but rather my girlfriend's Civic. That new mod feeling is long gone... which brings me to my point... I'm already planning on lifting it more. It's like some kind of disease. Once the feeling of a new mod wears off, only by adding another can you fill that empty void. Anyway, I'm sure that plenty others out there feel the same way. One question I have though is that even though I've got the 3" body lift, my truck still has the annoying "jacked up" look... you know, 1-1/2" - 2" higher in the rear. I've heard BAD, BAD things about coil spring spacers and lift coils, so what are my options? I guess I could get a 3" spindle lift kit which lifts the front 3" and comes with 1-1/2" blocks for the rear, right? But I'm guessing that would run around $1,000 installed, which is kinda pricey for right now. Is there any other cheap way to get 2" of lift in the front? Can you buy just front spindles that give you 2" of lift? Any help would be appreciated... remember, I'm an addict now.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:43 AM
well, #1, yes, it's an addiction. I'm saving every penny so that i may be able to put a 6" fabtech and some 38s on mine someday. but, by the time that comes, it'll be another year or 2 at least, and i'll have a 100,000 mile, 6-7 year old vehicle, new body style will be out, and i'm just gonna try to ex-nay that idea. But you are right about the lifting thing. It's a wicked disease.

As far as your specific situation, i would agree and say dont do spacers. I dont know anyone who has had serious problems with them EXCEPT alignment issues. BUT, if you have the lifting bug then you are gonna wish later you had saved your money and put it towards a bigger lift. I'd say save up for the spindle lift...until then, throw 10 50lb sand bags in the bag and maybe it wont sit so high!

Old 07-22-2002, 04:50 PM
I just bought 3" spindles from AIM for $295 + about $50 for shipping. They came in about 3 days. I'm going to install them my self so I'm not sure how much that would cost to have done. I think I'll go with 1" to 2" blocks in the rear for now. You should be able to get thoughs just about anyware for under $20.
I'll go to an added leaf to replace the blocks later when I can afford it. Because the blocks increase wheel hop.

I'm waiting untill next month to do the install. Can't afford wheels & tires untill then. I'll post pics when I do the install.
(BTW you need wheels with the correct backspacing in order the do this. Or you can use spacers on the stock wheels. I would suggest new wheels)

Old 07-23-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by BigBadRedLiftedFordMan
[B]well, #1, yes, it's an addiction. I'm saving every penny so that i may be able to put a 6" fabtech and some 38s on mine someday.
Smart man - that is a wicked *** combo! Good luck brudda

Old 07-29-2002, 12:44 AM
Yeah I was originally warned about this problem during the time I was doing my lift. I only wanted 3" but everyone told me if I did that I would want more. And I looked at more and more lifted F150s and decided that the 6"+ was the ONLY way to go. I now have the RCD 6" kit with 35s. I put this lift on about 2 weeks ago. And guess what? 2 weeks later I want more lift. Dont lift your truck in steps it will cost you way more in the long run. Save you money and throw on an RCD 6" or Fabtech 6 or 7.5" kit. You will be so much happier.

Because honestly, no one notices a truck with a 3" lift anymore.

Laurence

Old 08-03-2002, 09:43 PM
It is an addiction. And there is no cure. Believe me.

Old 08-05-2002, 12:07 AM
BigBadRed
I know just how you feel. I'm just now getting to the point where I can think about putting lift on it but it's done to late. I'm at 141K miles and just want to start over with a fresh truck and do it all right from the begining.
You know what will happen or at least with me. I'll get a new truck and decide I better wait till the warranty runs out and by that time everyone's already got one lifted sky high and I'll be low on moeny.
Maybe since it will be mid to late 03 before the new ones I will go ahead with a body lift, unless I find about 3 grand for a RCD or Fabtech and new wheels and tires.

Old 08-05-2002, 11:56 PM
Talking BIG LIFT!!!!!!!!

Well I have recently installed the 6 in lift and already had the 3 inch body lift and ....well next week the 37 inch tires are on sale and well I will be done for now. I am the tallest 2 wheel drive I have seen yet! I even have the license plate to prove it "BAD2WD" . Pics this weekend afetr the new treads come in!!!!
keep on liftin'!

Old 08-06-2002, 12:23 AM
So then how does it make you feel a guy at the shop I got my lift done at has a 2WD F150 with the Fabtech 7.5", 3" Body and running 37s? =)

I agree, though, that setup on 2WDs looks GREAT.

Laurence

Old 08-06-2002, 06:35 AM
hillrod

What tires are going to be on sale?

Thanks in advance for the info.

Quick Reply: Lifting Trucks an Addiction? (long)