how to level my truck

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2002, 02:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how to level my truck

I've been wanting to level my truck for awhile and just don't really know how to go about it. If someone could please help I would greatly appreciate it. I know i could raise it but i would prefer to lower the back to level it......thanks

Old 07-01-2002, 02:54 AM
well your gonna want to go down to a shop in your area that has lowering componets or a website store and buy some 2" lowering shackles for the rear and follow the instructions in the box.i have ground force and got them for 50 bucks and did the install myself which was pretty easy.

Old 07-01-2002, 01:14 PM
2" drop for F150 4x4

If you drop the two inched in the rear....do you have to get it aligned again?

DC Larson

Old 07-01-2002, 01:48 PM
No alignment needed for the drop shackle. I wanted to raise my front instead of the drop shackle. But apparently, there is too much mixed reviews. One of the front leveling kit by Fabtech was recently discontinued due to quality of ride issues.
I really didn't want to lower anything, but a $50 shackle kit was a better bet for my wallet versus $600 parts and labor for a front raise of 2". I do want it level though....sigh....never thought I'd go lower....

Old 07-01-2002, 03:51 PM
Where did you get your kit at? No one in Montana seems to have any kind of shackle kit. What about a sway bar? I planning on adding one. Would there be any problems adding a swaybar later? I have a 2000 F150 4x4 Lariat. Its got the tow package but no swaybar. I was told that lowering 2" and adding a swaybar would greatly increase the handling of the truck....especially while towing. Any opinions?

Thanks,
DC Larson

Old 07-02-2002, 08:36 AM
Anti Sway bars get rave reviews! Some say the best mod they ever did. So, I ordered a BellTech 2" drop shackle, A helwig anti-sway bar and four Rancho RSX shocks. Ordered them all from Summit (www.summitracing.com). Totaled about $350. Since these items are heavy, the flat $7 handling/shipping charge was a huge bonus.
I found some no name shackles at the autoparts store, but decided to go with the brand name.
These items will complete the handling improvements for my truck. Now...back to the power...or maybe the stereo...

Old 07-02-2002, 09:41 AM
Thanks for the info guy....I've been lookin to lower the rear since I bought it, plus the swaybar. One more question. Do ya gotta get different shocks just lowering 2" in rear?

Also, I stuck Airlift Airbags on it a while back. I have a half-cab camper and needed them. These trucks sure don't carry like they used to (79' & 93'). Would I have to refit them on also?

I can't wait to get this figured out. I've almost got my wife's approval. We (family of 4) tow a tent trailer loaded along with a canoe and bikes'etc., and it seems very squirrely in the mountains....even does w/o towing...leans a lot. I figure a little lower profile in the rear along with a swaybar will make for a lot better handling...SAFER! Plus if I get a heavy load I've always got the Airbags to keep it level.

DC Larson

Old 07-02-2002, 12:45 PM
Up to 2" is okay for factory shocks. Nothing special needed there. Not sure about the airbags, but I'll bet you're okay there also. I would suspect the anti-sway bar will help immensely during towing.

Old 07-02-2002, 01:06 PM
Hate to bother ya again Linetest.....but do you have the part numbers of what you ordered form Summit? I've been all over that link you gave out but can't find the shackles. Found the sway bar tho. I've gotta tell them that I am lowering 2" when ordering the swaybar, right? So I get the right one?

Thanks again.....I just want to get it right the first time....for me that is sometimes a chore. Was installation simple?

Any tips would greatly be appreciated.

DC Larson

Old 07-02-2002, 02:24 PM
I have the 2" belltech drop shackles and the hellwig rear sway for a 2" drop all in my garage right now. I will install it all Friday, and post the results. Just got a new air compressor, so air tools should help make this a speedy install.

Got the shackles from a local lightning parts dealer for $50 and the sway bar from jcwhitney for around $135 shipped. Can't remember exactly.

Old 07-02-2002, 02:46 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
02XLT... think i could swing by friday and take a look?

Old 07-02-2002, 05:26 PM
02XLT... think i could swing by friday and take a look?
I will be doing this in Baytown at my parents house

I still have my Apt. over in Kingwood for the time being. Shoot me your number and I can go home after the install through Humble and show you. I will just come back up 1900(?) to 1960 to 59N.

If your intention was to watch because you are thinking of doing it then you are welcome over during the install of course.

brian.simon@nexusmgmt.com

Old 07-02-2002, 05:32 PM
Suspended For Violation of Vendor Rules
hehe... took me 20 minutes to install them

I could do that... but you promise to race me afterwards ....

Old 07-02-2002, 05:33 PM
You have the shackles and sway bar already installed? If so you ran into no problems?

Old 07-02-2002, 07:21 PM
Summit Racing:

Hel-7621 Hellwig Anti-Sway Bar $129.69
Bel-6400 Belltech Shackle kit $60 or so, forgot actual cost

These are heavy, so the $7.95 flat rate from Summit is a deal. If you go to their site, on the left you can enter these part numbers. Keep in mind, I have a 1999 F-150 SuperCab.

Give them a call and speak with a person if you like. Great folks to deal with.
When I looked tonight, the Anti-Sway bar was backordered (guess I got the last one...) until the 12th of July I think.

My AntiSway bar and two of my four Rancho shocks arrived today from Summit. Don't know about installing this weekend tho, too hot and humid.

Quick Reply: how to level my truck