Maybe stupid rear shock question!

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2002, 05:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Maybe stupid rear shock question!

Stats: 1997 Ford f150 XTL 4x4 Extended cab.

I want to change out my existing shocks, replacing them with a set of Rancho rs9000s!

Problem is I can't, for the life of me get that damned rear shock off. Every time I try to turn the nut on the top (just under the bed) the entire shock turns.

My last ditch effort to get those shocks off before taking it to a shop is get a pipe wrench and hold the shock tight with that.

Any suggestions?

PS it's 90+ degrees and humid in indianapolis right now so no suggestions of blow torches or the such!

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2002, 06:12 PM
When we install there here at the plant in Kansas City, they use an air rachet on top nut and a nut/stud retainer-open ed box wrench on the stud under the mounting area.

Just a heads up here!

Showya

Old 06-30-2002, 06:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
32CountStep:

I had the same problem when I changed the rear shocks on my 4x4. I used the Sears Craftsman "Strap Wrench" (large size) to turn the upper shock body while holding the top nut with the box end wrench. The strap wrench worked perfectly.

Good Luck.

Wilk.

By the way, what does your user name mean?

Old 06-30-2002, 07:50 PM
Hey guys!

Thanks for the reply! I'll try the trick with the open-ended box wrench!

That is I'll try later on in the week when it's cooler!

I love this board! I gotten so much info from so many people and even helped a few folks myself!

wilywilky:

BTW, what shocks did you mount and how do you like them?

Old 06-30-2002, 08:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
32CountStep:

I replaced the O.E. shocks at 40k miles with Monroe SensaTrac shocks. No noticeable improvement in ride or handling.

At 100k miles I replaced the Monroes with Rancho RS9000 shocks.

I have had the Ranchos on for about 5k miles. The Ranchos are great. You can adjust the shocks for a soft ride, for long freeway trips for instance. Or when hauling heavy loads, (I haul a lot of firewood), you can set the shocks on firm and the ride stiffens right up and body roll decreases. However, driving the truck unloaded on the firm setting will rattle your teeth loose. Typically I keep the shocks at the middle setting.

I highly recommend the Rancho RS9000 shocks.

Wilk

Old 07-03-2002, 10:21 AM
I don't know if it's too late to help here but there is a nut on the underside of the top of the rear shock that you can access from underneath. It helps to take the spare down, lay on the ground and look up just below the metal disk that's below the rubber bushing there is a nut. On my stockers it was 18mm or 19mm once you get a hold of that sucker the shock will not turn! the hard part is holding that wrench while turning the top wrench! My air ratchet didn't have the b@lls to loosen it! Then it got stuck with the deep well socket once the bolt came loose!!

Good luck...

Quick Reply: Maybe stupid rear shock question!