Popping when turning left while braking..

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2002, 08:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Popping when turning left while braking..

Hi.. i dont know if i have a supension or a brake problem. My 02 4x4 w 5,000 miles has started to pop when turning left and braking at the same time. Its more noticable if braking/turning over rough roads.. can also hear it when i pull over my curb into my driveway..its defintely in the front..

Its a single pop or clunk..

I grabbed the anti sway bar and shook it..didnt seem loose..

Any advice?

Old 06-22-2002, 11:27 PM
Unhappy

nobody?

Old 06-22-2002, 11:49 PM
Sage73:

I'm not sure is it's the same on 4x4 as it is om my 4x2 Lightning, but check the bolt at the rear of the left lower a-frame. Ford uses a slot in the frame for alignment, and if the bolt is not tight, you will get a clunk sound when it moves. Look at the end of the bolt and washer towars the rear of the truck. If it is moving, you should see the marks where its sliding in the frame slot.

For more info on this do a search for "clunk" in the lightning forum.

Now, here's the fix if it's the same as my 4x2:
I beleive Ford has as TSB technical service bullitin out for 97-01, but I don't know if it will apply to your 02. Reviews are mixed on this, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Probably a direct result of how easy/hard each of us drive.

The best fix is to use a part called a "Herb's washer" that fits in the frame slot and eliminates the possibility of the bolt sliding in the slot. You will have to also get the cam bolt kits from Ford or NAPA for the upper a-frames to do the alignment after installation of Herb's washers. You will need (1) set of Herb's washers and (4) sets of the cam bolt kits.

For the Herb's washers ang cam bolt kits, do a search in the lightning forum for "Herb's washers". about $50 and another search for the "cam bolts" part numbers, about $75.

With this done, get a good alignment and you are ready to go.

Again, I'm not sure these are the same on your 4x4.

Another thing to check is the bump stops where the spindle meets the a-frame when turning. Just grease them once in a while.

Good Luck

Old 06-23-2002, 12:18 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have you checked the torsion bars they may need to be adjusted.

Old 06-23-2002, 06:32 PM
How does one adjust the torsion bars? just tighten the bolts up? I didnt know a torsion bar could make a snapping/popping noise

Quick Reply: Popping when turning left while braking..