Sway Bars

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2002, 08:14 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sway Bars

I have a 2wd long bed, and we use it to haul 14' kayaks on some weekends. The boats tend to catch some air if it's breezy, and I'm wondering if some sway bars could tighten it up so the effect of wind is reduced. Any suggestions?

Also, if you're reading this, wheel spin is a problem in wet. i am looking at better tires at some point, but also wonder if the PowerTrax or Detroit limited slip kits would help this out, and which one is better. I don't know much about limited slips or lockup axles, and would appreciate advice about the differences, too.

Thanks!

Old 06-20-2002, 03:43 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't know about yours specifically...

I have a 02 SCREW, and when I put the Helwigs antisway bar on it help with the cornering such as on ramps.
Also the 'semi drift' is gone. When a semi a$$ hauling past me creates the wind vortex / vacuum or what ever the physicis name is for it, I don't get that side drift as bad as without it.

All in all the ride did not change comfort wise.

As for wheel spin....I did not go with it, but I saw the Road Master bars for the rear axel were to take care of that...I think. I did not go with it as it seemed more like a glue up for trying to play road racer with a full truck. not my thing to do. Check around others might think it is ok, others might agree with me, in it looks like a crock. just my 2 cents............

sms

Old 06-21-2002, 08:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
THANKS!!

That "vortex" is extra nasty with the boats overhead, and that's great to hear. Did you get the front and rear or just one of them? Does it come with urethane bushings?

Thanks for your help. genuine input sells me more than couter talk.....

Old 06-21-2002, 11:24 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
vI only did the front bar from Helwig.

I have seen various threads on replacing the front, and the L one is only like 5 mm thicker ( or something like that ) then the stock one.

So far I have not seen a need ( for what I am doing ) to replace the front one with a larger, it seems pretty tight now with the Helwig in the rear, but I am trying to keep an eye on it.

The bushing on the kit I got were regular rubber type, not poly.
I figured it was ok, when the other bushing need to replaced on the truck, I will also replace those...all in poly.

There is a faq on the helwig on this site ( what cuased me to go with this along with the name reconition ) at :
https://www.f150online.com/reviews/hellwig.html

It was a real quick mod to put on, almost as short as a K&N and MAF sensor change.

Quick Reply: Sway Bars