Just installed add-a-leaf, here is how it went.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2002, 08:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Just installed add-a-leaf, here is how it went.

Hey guys, I just finished installing the Explorer Pro Comp 1.5" - 2.5" rear add-a-leaf kit in my truck. Here are some pointers to make your project go a little easier.

-You will need about 1" longer u-bolts, they said the stock will work, however they don't.

-It seems easier to leave the top spring (attached to the shackle and hanger) in place rather than removing the entire spring pack. I tried it both ways.

-On my truck, the center pins for the spring pack were peened to prevent removal of the nut. This required that I bring out a nutbuster and snap the nut off.

-The new center pins will not work with the spring hold down plate unless it is modified. I had to use a die grinder and open the center hole up another 1/4" or so, not a big deal really, unless you don't have a die grinder.

-lastly, the spring kit I got had holes predrilled for the teflon spring tips, so I got new ones for about a buck a piece and stuck them in. Looks factory.

As for the outcome, my truck now sits 2" higher in back and since I had done about a 1.5" torsion bar adjustment already, it seems perfect. The ride has stiffened some, but it is a truck and besides I can live with a littler harsher ride. When I was under the truck, I was able to notice that the passenger rear shock was toast, as when I compressed it, it wouldn't rebound under its own power. So, I plan on replacing them soon.

Hope any of this info helps, should you plan on doing any leaf spring work anytime soon.

Crotteau

Old 07-26-2002, 01:32 AM
SSR
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your stock shocks worked ok? I've heard some people said that they can sometimes be too short.

Quick Reply: Just installed add-a-leaf, here is how it went.