Hellwig vs Active suspension

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 11:43 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Hellwig vs Active suspension

Looking to replace damaged air suspension with spring helpers, found two company that have it Hellwig with the PROGRESSIVE-RATE HELPER SPRINGS and the Active suspension, any one using any of the two and what is your experience with them, would truck ride be affected, truck height increase etc. etc... any help would appreciated.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:19 AM
I installed the Active Suspension 3-4 weeks ago. Since that time, I have used the truck to move into a new house and taken one 900 mile round trip. I pulled a 2000 lb 19' flatbed trailer while moving and frequently had it loaded with 3000 lbs of stuff.

The Active Suspension made a big difference with the truck handling heavy loads in the bed and towing a trailer. The Active Suspension also seems to improve handling a little. It may have increased the height of the bed a little, but I am not sure on that one. The install was easy, and took me about 1 hour. I used a floor jack and three jack stands, and an air compressor/impact wrench. The kit was $197.95 from JC Whitney.

The only negative has been a little noise from the back end when going over certain expansion joints in the roads, etc. It kind of sounds like coil springs rattling, (which the AS kit uses).

Good Luck,

Jim

Old 06-06-2002, 08:45 AM
Jscott

Is this the same outfit from Hellwig? I was looking in Jcwhitney also and saw the Hellwig suspension, I also checked the roadmaster at, http://www.activesuspension.com/ , Just wondering if any diffrence, and about the ride? any change.

Old 06-06-2002, 01:47 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I got the Hellwig LP 2500's on my rig. They have been the best mod I've done to the truck so far.

It allows me to actually haul something without hitting the bump stops. Handling is better. Stopped all wheel hop. Cured my rear spring "clunk" I had when coming to a stop and then hitting the gas again.

It has "firmed" up the ride. It's not as soft as it was originally. But, for me, that's a good thing, because I bought a truck, not a Cadillac. I do have the springs "pre loaded" so they won't rattle. You could lower the amount of this pre load to keep the ride more "soccer mom" like, but that's personal preference.

I take long road trips all the time with the wife too. She says it rides very smooth and comfortable, no complaints at all.

Here's a pic of them.

Hellwig springs

Picked them up from a local 4x4 shop for about $150 + tax. Installed in about an hour total (you have to assemble the springs before bolting them on the rig). Only had to jack it up to set the pre load amount (I just jacked it up under the trailer hitch to lift the entire rear, but leaves the axle hanging). This actually "lifted" the rear about an inch or so when it's at rest.

Good luck with whatever style you pick up. I've heard good things about the "Active Suspension" setup as well. Just found these first and seemed to be more of what I was looking for.

Old 06-06-2002, 02:30 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They both accomplish about the same thing. Hellwig with leaf springs, Roadmaster with a coil spring. Both will stiffen up the rear springs for better load handling, will give a slight lift, greatly reduce body sway.

A month after installing the Roadmaster Active Suspension springs, I remeasured my ride height. The rear was 7/8" higher than the front, left and right side. But the right side was 1/2" lower than the left, both front and rear. Basically I was able to even it out, left to right, by cranking the right Roadmaster a few times, then a 2.5 turns on the right torsion bar bolt. It was nice to have that adjustability in the rear. I imagine the hellwig would do the same thing.

I recommend the roadmasters to everyone, and will put a set on my next truck.

Old 06-06-2002, 08:45 PM
No one is replying to my post (5,280 lbs.) so I thought I would hop on this one.

I have a '99 f250 superduty that now is carrying a full time axle weight of 5,280 lbs. because of a service body that I added. The rear axle is rated a 5,530 lbs. but the rear springs are inverted slightly now from the weight and I think it will only get worse.

I have been looking at the hellwig helper springs but don't know if should go with the lp25's or the lp35's. I DON'T want to stiffen the ride anymore than I have to.

MichF150.....do you have a feel from your lp25's as to whether they would be adequate for me???

Anyone else??????

Thanks

Old 06-07-2002, 12:50 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up longbox:

Interesting situation you got there........ Lots 'o' weight too. My whole truck probably weighs 5500#s!!

Since your rig is an F250 and going to have this weight full time, you should be ok with the 35's. I was debating between the 15's or the 25's when I got mine. Ended up with the 25's and very glad I did. My rig actually rides a lot smoother when loaded down. I've had 1000#'s in the bed and was towing a small utility trailer with another 1000#'s in it and it was a pretty smooth ride.

On one road trip, I had about 300#'s in the back in it rides better then empty, but even empty I would not say the ride is harsh by any means.

You can adjust these springs to ride anyway you like too. I've got 'em set tight enough to keep 'em from rattling when empty, but they start "working" with very little added weight in the bed.

Quick Reply: Hellwig vs Active suspension