Actual Off-Road Performance??/4.56 Gears installed!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2002, 03:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Actual Off-Road Performance??/4.56 Gears installed!!

Alright All, I will be finally able to use the 4.56 gears in 4WD tonight, as the rear was done yesterday and the front will be done today. I took the truck for a ride yesterday and all I can say is WOW. The truck seems like a have a train pushing me around. The gears may be just a tad too low for my 33"s, but only at around 80mph or so. With the 35"s in the future it will be Perfect. Anyway, does anyone with the 4" or greater lifts actually do any serious off-roading? I am just getting into it with my F150 and I am hearing a lot of bad stuff about the IFS Setup. Personally, I like it and want to keep it (rather than doing a solid axle conversion or something). What kind of parts usually are broken first and what parts do I need to keep an eye on? What I mean is are the CV shafts first to go, or do the bearing in the hubs wear out super quick or what? Thanks for any info you all have.

P.S. pictures of your truck in "Serious Off-Road Mode" are welcome as well!

Thanks, Crotteau

Old 06-02-2002, 01:38 PM
I do a lot of off roading in my truck. The only thing I have broken so far is the rear end. Even without the lift, my truck does a very good job, it goes places other trucks can't. Soon as I get the powertrax installed up front, I'll be ready to be unstoppable.

Old 06-04-2002, 08:13 PM
I do a lot of off-roading in my F-150. I have a Fabtech 6" lift and 4.56 gears also. I've broke my front drive shaft, cv half-shaft(twice), and bend my crossmember (twice). It dose really good and go a lot of places only jeeps and others with lockers. I've done a lot of rocks climbing, mud (i get high centered a lot, need bigger tires). I'm runing 33" goodyear MTR, I would like to run 36-37" tires.

Quick Reply: Actual Off-Road Performance??/4.56 Gears installed!!