increasing load capacity/height

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2002, 11:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
increasing load capacity/height

I have a 99 superduty 4x2.

I have removed the box and replaced it with a service body adding about 1500lbs.+ to the truck.

It rides and handles quite well although it seems it sits a little low in the rear. I've looked at the rear springs and they're actually slightly inverted so I figure I need additional support.

I've read alot about airbags. Is this this the way to go??

I want to install something that will not hurt the ride and that I can just install and forget about.

How do you put air into the airbags when you don't use the onboard compressor and does the air equilize between the two bags??

In other words.....is it a hastle to put air into the bags and do you have to keep monitoring them to be sure they have the correct air pressure in them.

How about brands of air bags, any recomendations??

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 05-29-2002, 11:51 PM
By the way.......the truck is a F250 Superduty with leaf springs on the back now.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:13 AM
I have a '98 F150 that I tow a fairly large camper with. The stock springs were too soft to handle the load without sagging excessively. I also looked at helper springs ($400.00 Canadian), and air bags ($400.00 Canadian plus $350.00 for the compressor). This was way too much money so I went to a local spring shop. I had an extra leaf installed in each side as well as new slider pads and the whole job including tax was $160.00 Canadian. The work was done well and quickly and I left feeling that I got a good deal. If you are carrying a constant load on your truck, stiffer springs would be the way to go. Good luck, GlennMc.

Old 05-31-2002, 02:54 PM
Glen,

Thanks for your reply. The whole thing about adding a leaf is that someday I will probably take off the service body and I feel I would have to take the spring out too or it would ride too rough. If I did bags I think it is something I could do myself and I could just leave them in if I wanted too when I put the box back on.

Then there's the adjustablity factor. I could make it whatever I wanted as far as ride and height.

My only concern with bags is I don't want to fiddle with them i.e. checking air pressure etc. I want to install them and forget about them. I expect they would hold air once you got them to the desired pressure and thats it right?? Or are they like tires in that they loose air pressure during the winter etc.

The other question I had is when you fill them do you have to fill them individually, or do they both fill at the same time?

I think I would opt to NOT use the on board air compressor for cost reasons. Would this make filling them manually way more of a hastle??

Thanks

Randy

Old 05-31-2002, 04:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sounds like roadmaster active suspension springs is just what you need....

http://www.activesuspension.com/

You can adjust them stiffer, softer, or in a couple minutes remove them all together. All for about $230. They can be installed in less than 30 minutes.

Quick Reply: increasing load capacity/height