Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2002, 07:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed Hellwig Rear Swaybar

Good Price - $126.00 shipped
Easy Install - (20 Minutes)
Great Product - corners flat
I would highly reccomend this product.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 05-28-2002 at 07:35 PM.
Old 05-30-2002, 09:17 AM
I'm not someone who is easily WOW'd, but this sway bar is really a cheap mod that most anyone would appreciate.

Old 05-30-2002, 02:19 PM
Agreed~~cheap~~excellent results

Old 05-31-2002, 12:29 AM
Re: Installed Hellwig Rear Swaybar

Originally posted by GearHead_1
Good Price - $126.00 shipped
Easy Install - (20 Minutes)
Great Product - corners flat
I would highly reccomend this product.
Were you able to install it while on rear jackstands in your garage? I really drive hard on curvey roads and really need to install one but don't have much room in my garage or a lift.

Old 05-31-2002, 09:30 AM
I didn't even put it on stands this time. In fact they recommend that you make the adustments when it's in a natural stance.

Old 05-31-2002, 06:46 PM
20 minutes to install my ***...What are you guys getting kickbacks from Hellwig?...I bought the kit and, although the installation wasn't particularly difficult, it did take some time to accurately position it without interference from other parts.... The bar itself looked to be quality, but the rest of the kit was composed of weak and poorly constructed parts... The kit was overall universal and not well engineered...A better method would have been to work off of the shock mounts instead of universal U bolts that interfere with brake lines....Not something I would buy again. My recommendation is to look at other bars such as the Hotchkis or Steeda, it may be more money, but you get what you pay for....Eric

Old 05-31-2002, 09:55 PM
Eric, what are you smoking? Sure you can spend more and get better. This took twenty minutes. Not the manufacturers fault if you can't turn a wrench. I can and that's what it took me. You say the other parts look cheap. A sway bar link is a sway bar link. Short of welding mounts to the axle there aren't many better ways to attach this to the axle. This kit has only been on a few days but it works great I think it is a much better value than a Hotchkis for example.

Last edited by GearHead_1; 05-31-2002 at 10:00 PM.
Old 06-01-2002, 01:31 AM
Thank you for your rude comment, but I can turn a wrench better than most...I've restored 5 muscle cars which requires more skill than just bolting parts onto a new truck...So anytime you want to swap stories, and find out who's built more motors and cars let me know....For those simple minds who dont understand the word "universal" it means unlimited or genereal, in that this kit will fit any 97-2002 F150...This included 4x4, extra cab, and intstallations of course will vary. My application was a 98 f150 single cab with a 3:55 posi rear....I was advised to the difficulty of installing this kit on a posi rear by Robert at Hellwig...He bluntly suggested swapping the bar around and attaching it underneath the rearend to avoid a certain sensor casting...Still dont think its a universal Kit? I managed to install it in the normal position above the rear axle....I am only writing this message to counter the false praise this kit has recieved, so others are not so easily convinced as I unfortunately was.....I am a purist and I believe that if a part is worth installing on my car or truck, it should of fine quality and engineering, at least to that of the original manufacturer, and this kit is not up to Ford standards.....Eric

Old 06-01-2002, 01:17 PM
Eric, the rude comment started when you said, "20 minutes my ***." I stated a fact. A few air tools makes this an easy install. You would lose on swapping stories also. I am an ASE certified Master Technician and have turned wrenches proffesionally for more than 20 years I have pit crewed for SEARS on their SuperTruck series and built engines for a proffesional sand race team. I dare say that I have put more performance engines together than you would care to count. You have made some poor assumptions by blasting my comment in your first post. Damn, I hate it when somebody makes me toot my own horn.

Old 06-01-2002, 04:15 PM
Obviously the average home mechanic doesn't have air tools and and ASE certification, so by suggesting that it takes 20 minutes to install is just absurd to suggest.....I want to make clear that this message is for those of you who are looking to buy a rear sway bar...I advise shopping carefully before you dive into buying a Hellwig kit just from the testimony of a few easily satisfied consumers...Oh, and Gearhead, I hope you enjoy that ASE certification as much as I enjoy my mechanical engineering degree...Eric

Old 06-01-2002, 08:01 PM
Back and Forth

Eric,

Now that I understand you have a mechanical engineering degree I'm sure you would have had no difficulty what so ever installing something as low on the intelect chain as this sway bar. Please don't take offense to this reply. You are as entitled to your opinion of this product as I am mine. If I understand your latest reply I believe that you must think I'm some how cheating by using the right tools for this the job. As with any install (your results may vary). It would have taken me at least 15 minutes longer if I did it all by hand. I was by no means trying to mislead anyone by my inital posts. I didn't fabricate my statement and stand by it. I found this product to be inexpensive, easy to install and performs exactly as advertised. By the way, I'm happy you made it through school, some of the rest of us did as well.

Old 06-02-2002, 06:41 PM
I know this is an old thread, but eric I live 10 min from steeda and buy alot of parts from them for my cobra. Do you think they make there parts?Nope Most of there stuff is "repackaged" product from other vendors. My step father is a mechanical engineer and hes the same way. He can tell you how it was built and how he would of built it, but give him a screw driver and watch out. Bottom line is its a SWAY BAR! it 129.00 and it improves the way these tanks handle...... I installed mine in 30 min in the dark with a flash light with three beers in me and Im not ASE certified or engineer?

One more question is whats the deference in having a posi rear compared to a limited slip. Its all in the same pumpkin? unless Im missing something, Unless you mean you have an 9.75 instead of a 8.8?

Last edited by BlownScrew; 06-02-2002 at 06:53 PM.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:31 AM
Where did you find the sway bar for $129 shipped? I've been looking for one and only found it for $135 + shippiing at JCWhitney.com.

my horn, just for laughs; Microsoft Certified Professional, A+ Certified Computer Technician, Dell Certified Systems Expert, Certified Unix System Administrator, Certified Certification Authority, and Certified Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO). Ok, ok, I will allow an hour to install the sway bar since I'm a computer geek! But I do know tools, I have one screwdriver, and it works for every nut!

Old 06-05-2002, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by deep6blue
Where did you find the sway bar for $129 shipped? I've been looking for one and only found it for $135 + shippiing at JCWhitney.com.

my horn, just for laughs; Microsoft Certified Professional, A+ Certified Computer Technician, Dell Certified Systems Expert, Certified Unix System Administrator, Certified Certification Authority, and Certified Information Systems Security Officer (ISSO). Ok, ok, I will allow an hour to install the sway bar since I'm a computer geek! But I do know tools, I have one screwdriver, and it works for every nut!
Deep6blue give yourself more credit than that. I know some computer geeks that are actually very good shadtree mechanics. My advice would be to get a hammer to go along with your screwdriver. It doens't take up much more space and it helps on the really rusted nuts.

Old 06-05-2002, 02:19 PM
Great idea on the hammer. I think I found a broken hammer in the parking lot one day. I'll just duct tape the hammer head to a group of pencils and I'll be set!

Quick Reply: Installed Hellwig Rear Swaybar