Edelbrock IAS Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2002, 03:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Edelbrock IAS Problem

Had the shocks installed on my SuperCrew last Thursday. On Sunday, I began to hear a rattle in the front end when going over bumps. When I returned it to the shop yesterday, we found that the upper bushing on the right front shock had cracked clean through. I don't think that the problem was overtightening because I visually inspected the front shocks when I picked up the truck after installation.

Anyone out there have this problem or hear of anything like it?

Old 05-15-2002, 08:47 PM
CACeeJay,

I just put my new Edelbrocks on today. I don't think it was a bushing problem, but possibly an install problem. When they installed your shocks, they probably didn't properly "center-seat" the male & female top shock bushings. The bushing was more than likely "cut" by the edge of the hole it was supposed to be centered on. It was not centered because they had the frame jacked up with the wheels hanging, causing a misalignment. I did the same exact thing today. I had to drop the truck down all the way to center the lower "male" bushing. The female bushing installs just under the nut and steel washer.

You might want to check (feel) at the left rear top bushing location. I actually over-tightened it and warped the heck out of the lower male bushing (basically swedged the male portion out of shape and thrombosed it out through the top hole...under the edge of the female bushing). Of course, this is the 'bastard' location on the truck where you can't fully see the top bushing without dropping the spare tire. If it is out of shape, back the 17MM nut off until you can recenter the bushings and then tighten the nut only until there's a slight bulging at the center of the top and bottom bushings.

By the way...the Edelbrock IAS's are great. Very smooth ride and greatly improved sway control over the factory HD's, Bilsteins and Gabriel MonoTubes (yes...this is my 4th set of shocks on this truck in 19000 miles...but now the truck rides to my liking).

Good luck,
Kevin

Old 05-15-2002, 11:25 PM
CACeeJay

On mine, the top bushings did not "pre load" but the instructions said that "in some applications the nut would bottom out before pre loading the bushings". I thought it was odd but I went with it. Well the top bushings got chewed to a pulp.

I emailed Edelbrock and got one email reply that had one line in it. "Send me your address and I'll send you the proper bushings". That was it.

About 4 days later I received 2 sets of new bushings that were much larger, and they fit like I thought they should. Fit and preloaded nicely as I would think they should.

Check to see if the bushings look kind of small, and see if the nut bottoms out before getting any or much pressure on the bushings. I was going to post pics of the chewd up bushings but haven't. If you need to compare sizes, let me know and I'll get you pics of both the original and the ones they sent me.

Old 05-20-2002, 02:40 PM
Thumbs up

To Area 52 & FamilyRide...thanks for the help!

Old 05-23-2002, 04:36 PM
CACeeJay,

Thanks for the informative post. I printed out and brought it with me when I had me Edelbrock shocks installed today. The mechanic read it and thanked me for the information. After the install, he said it was helpful. Also said, you have to be a bit of a contortionist when installing the front shocks. Anyway, the ride is much better than stock. I had hoped it would help with the freeway expansion joint bounce, but it didn't. Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Edelbrock IAS Problem