loud front end noise

Old 05-14-2002, 07:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question loud front end noise

Has anyone had a problem with a loud squeking, screeching noise in the front end when turning? I'm not a mechanic but it don't sound right. I've greased every fitting and even sprayed a whole can of lithium grease on every joint and it still squeaks and squeals whenever I turn the wheel. I've got a '97.

Old 05-14-2002, 08:42 AM
hog
Unhappy same prob.

i have the same problem. if you find out what what it is could you let me know. acmesafety101@yahoo.com

thanks

Old 05-14-2002, 06:15 PM
Squeaking Steering

I had the same problem with my 97. There are some sealed rubber boots that have no fittings. I used an icepick to poke a small hole in the boot. Then I used an attachment for my grease gun that is really small like a needle. I stuck it in the hole I made with the icepick and filled them with grease. The squeaking immediately stopped.
Hope this helps

Old 05-14-2002, 07:49 PM
grease it

I too had a similar squeek, bought a needle for my grease gun and filled em up. no more squeek. I think the grease drys out and moisture causes rust. good luck.

Old 05-16-2002, 03:25 PM
Smile Re: Squeaking Steering

Originally posted by jwr689s
I had the same problem with my 97. There are some sealed rubber boots that have no fittings. I used an icepick to poke a small hole in the boot. Then I used an attachment for my grease gun that is really small like a needle. I stuck it in the hole I made with the icepick and filled them with grease. The squeaking immediately stopped.
Hope this helps
Hey man thanks for the tip. I did what you said and the squeaking is gone. Thanks again.

Old 05-16-2002, 10:18 PM
Your screeching/squeeking noise is coming from the pitman arm, used in the steering linkage.

Old 05-22-2002, 09:47 PM
I am getting the same noise (pissing me off) in my 00 HDF150.
I could only find 1 grease fitting & filled it up. These new seals suck. I checked the others & they seem to have no grease in them. What size needle do I get for my grease gun? Will the rubber seal back up & not leak? Help!!!

I brought it to the dealer last year & they said they could not find the noise & I would have to take a mechanic out for a ride.
(That is B/S! , They know about these grease fittings)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: loud front end noise