What a Little Grease Will Do

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2002, 12:07 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile What a Little Grease Will Do

Wow, I just finishe changing my oil and filter (Amsoil all the way around now) and decided to grease the only two zerks I can find under my Expy. Both on the steering. One took about one shot, the other took about 4-5 good shots. By the way, Amsoil grease as well.

I go for a drive, and WOW, I've had not steering problems whatsoever, but it now drives like a new truck. The steering is almost too easy. I've got the Michelins pumped to the max of 35 psi (I've been towing the boat around lately) and I think I'll drop them down to about 32psi now.

Pretty wild!

Old 05-04-2002, 12:32 AM
Can you tell me just exactly where you found these two zirks? I'd like to try the same as you to see if I can get that "new truck feel".

Thanks...

Old 05-06-2002, 10:59 PM
Red face

I should just delete that post. :o

So, after a couple days I'm thinking, geez, I shouldn't have greased that puppy up. It was just not comfortable at speeds above 30 or so; just to "easy" to steer. It would jump to the next county by just a bump.

So as I'm on the way to go pick up my boat, I'm thinking I really don't like the thought of what it's going to be like now when WHAM, it hit's me that when I changed the oil the other night, I didn't reconnect the speed sensor. I pulled over, reached up under there and reconnected it.

So, the boat towed great and now it's much better now that the variable assist steering works working.

Yep, I'm embarresed.

As for the zerks, they were on the passanger side on a streering "control" link is what I would call it. It's like a stabalizer mounted to the frame supporting the streering linkage. And the truck now feel's like it did, which I thought was pretty good; and it is.

Old 05-12-2002, 03:17 AM
The parts proper name that you will find the grease fittings is on is called an idler arm. Passenger side mounted to frame with two large bolts and connects to center drag link.

Old 05-12-2002, 04:01 AM
Angry oil filter relocation

anyone using a oil filter relocation kit. oil filter on my 02 s/s hard to take off and makes a big mess sometimes, and i don't like hearing the engine clatter when first started after changing oil and filter. what the best one and best place to put the remote filter. i want to mount it so i can fill filter before putting it on to maybe stop the engine clatter on start up.

Old 05-12-2002, 09:55 AM
I'm not sure about the relocation kit but heres one thing you can try. After you cahnge the oil pull the EFI fuse and crank the truck for 5 or 6 seconds. That will lube the engine and give you oil pressure. Then you can reinstall the EFI fuse start the truck and away you go. This is also important to do on turbocharged engines so you get oil to the turbo bearings before you get it spinning.

-Jon

Old 05-12-2002, 11:46 AM
KYFordFreak

That's exactly it. Thanks.

Quick Reply: What a Little Grease Will Do