frame exposed after body lift, temp fix?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb frame exposed after body lift, temp fix?

I just reinstalled my front tow hooks, after a 3" body lift. I may have a temporary solution to the frame that peeks out where the tow hooks used to be. I cannot be for sure how the end result will be, I am waiting for some glue to dry. however it looks a hell of alot better than the rusty frame. Please respond if interested. I will keep you all informed. chris

Old 04-29-2002, 09:23 PM
what was your fix?

Old 04-30-2002, 02:13 PM
hog
i am also interested!!

Old 04-30-2002, 09:54 PM
Talking fix for lift

well it has been one day so far, and the covers that I used are still holding. First this method will only work, if you have not reinstalled your tow hooks. I cut out the plastic under where the frame sticks out, to put the hooks back on. I got to thinking that the plastic matches the bumper, and was roughly the same size as the frame pieces. I did some trimming to get the cut out pieces close to the right size, and then removed the back (i guess support strips, or ribs) . I used a utility knife. I then heated up the plastic so that it could be straightened, but left the lip alone so that I could use it as a contact point. I had some household multi purpose cement, I guess epoxy would work unless you need to take these covers off. I put alot of the cement on the lip of the cut off pieces, and applied them so that the lip was on the bottom of the frame piece. I tucked the top of the pieces behind the bumper. I propped them in place with a couple pieces of scrap wood, and let it sit for several hours. Like I said, I did it yesterday around 5 pm, and they are still stuck on after a day of my wife driving the truck. I you have any questions, respond good luck. chris

Old 05-01-2002, 11:34 PM
Lightbulb another thought

using scrap wood, get close to the same size as the outside of the frame, and wrap with plastic wrap. then use fiberglass over that. attach with some sort of fastners. let me know if anyone tries this, I will probably try it pretty soon so check back.
chris

Quick Reply: frame exposed after body lift, temp fix?