Squeaking/Creeking Leaf Springs

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2002, 02:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Squeaking/Creeking Leaf Springs

I've noticed for sometime a pretty noticeable squeaking/creaking noise coming from the rear of my undercarriage. Looked at it this weekend, and the problem is pretty clear - the teflon pads that go inbetween the leaf springs in the back have worn out almost completely which allows the leaf springs to rub up against each other. Anyone else have this problem? Is it possible to replace the teflon pads without replacing the whole leaf spring? How difficult would this be?

Thanks for the help...

Old 04-29-2002, 04:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When i disassembled my spring pack to put in the new leaks with the lift kit i ofund that my teflon pads werent even attached. So i see no reason why you couldn't get some replacements, wedge the spring apart with a screwdriver and slide them in.

-Jon

Old 04-29-2002, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Pad source

I had a hell of a time locating those pads when I installed the add-a leafs. During my search I came across this article from the Off Road archives.
http://www.findarticles.com/cf_dls/m.../article.jhtml Decent article and on page 3 lists some sources.
National Spring quoted me $0.75 per for the pads. The fully lined spring sounds like a good idea though.
I'm not certain but I'd bet they could be swapped out without removing the spring pack by jacking up the frame and letting the axle hang and a little coaxing with a pry bar.

Quick Reply: Squeaking/Creeking Leaf Springs