will this work for leveling?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2002, 03:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question will this work for leveling?

I was gonna go with leveling springs, bushings, drop brackets, etc on my 1992 F150 4x4...
but that is just too much work and money when I am doing it strictly for looks. This is a commuter truck that rarely goes off road.

so...

Can I just remove the stock blocks under the rear springs - it looks like that should level the truck out, and I would think that the springs would be capable of handling anything that I throw at it.

has anyone done this? I know that I need shorter U-bolts. How do you make sure that you have kept the axle in line?

thanks,
Matt

Old 04-17-2002, 03:54 PM
I'm not exactly shure, But I think you will need some type of block so that the axle stayes in the desired location. If you didn't have a block, the axle might slip. If your only going to lower it that much, I dont think any type of shim would be needed. But you might check with someone else who is more qualified than me.

Old 04-17-2002, 05:07 PM
i have no idea if that will work, but if it doesnt, you could always just get some new hangers for the rear springs that will lower the truck about 2 inches in the back and make it look level. i dont think they're too expensive. just an idea, good luck!

Old 04-17-2002, 08:20 PM
I've never tried it but yes, the axle will stay were it needs to be since the center bolt in the springs will mate up with a hole in the spring mount. Just remember that trucks sit high in the rear for the reason. If you ever need to throw a bunch of stuff in the back of your truck the rear end will sag, maybe even causing tire rub.

-Jon

Old 04-18-2002, 05:09 PM
I have done this modification to my old Ranger, but I think the same issues would apply. The most important thing to point out is that the block is what contacts with the upper bump stop. Without the block, you could possibly bottom out your shocks (and damage them) or allow your axle to travel too far upwards. Probably not a big problem unless you take your truck off road or drive it really hard.

You will notice dramatically less wheel hop under hard acceleration, or at least I did on my Ranger, because you are reducing the amount of leverage that the axle has against the spring.

-Yosh

Quick Reply: will this work for leveling?