wheel hop

Old 04-16-2002, 12:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wheel hop

has anyone else had a big problem with wheel hop with the stock suspension?
My rear end bounces all over the place if the tires loose grip. Normally I'd expect the rear to fish-tail a little until it gets traction (limited slip rear end), but it just hops and rattles your teeth loose.
I'm considering either stiffer (1-ton) springs, or traction bars, has anyone else done either one? or any other suggestions?. either way, I figure it'll cost me a couple hundred bucks, but i'm getting tired of my wife freaking out when the rear end lets loose.

Old 04-16-2002, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not only does it freak out your wife, but it beats the crap out of your drivetrain. I've used traction bars and they work great, even the cheap $40 autozone ones, but to really prevent wheelhop you have to have them adjusted pretty tight which will kill your ride quality, then again so will 1 ton springs. Some people on these boards have used road handler active suspension and are happy with it.

Another thing to consider are your shocks, are they good quality? How old are they? Shocks that come on new trucks are worn out from rail and truck transport and should be replaced at 30K miles. If your truck is old, a good set of shocks is something to think about. If you had planned on spending a couple hundred on this problem anyway, then maybe go for some nice Edelbrock IAS shocks.

-Jon

Old 04-16-2002, 02:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.activesuspension.com/

Put a set of roadmaster active syspension springs on my truck last week. Very easy install. Really firmed up the ride, no wheel hop, reduced body sway, corners nice. Loaded up the truck and went turkey hunting for the weekend. Handled great under load on rutted up muddy roads and on the highway, firm but comfortable. Picking up a load of woodchips this weekend, can't wait.

Cheapest place I found the roadmasters was...

http://www.hitch-web.com/

$207 a set, free UPS ground shipping.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: wheel hop