adding a leaf

Old 04-10-2002, 03:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
adding a leaf

Hi. I have a '97 F-150 2WD with a 500lb toolbox in the back. It sits about an inch lower now. I've been thinking of adding another leaf to the rear springs to get it back up... has anyone tried this? I was planning on pulling a leaf out of a junked f-150, as long as it fits I'd guess it would work. any suggestions? i don't want to spend a lot of money.

-sal

Old 04-10-2002, 04:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding a leaf is the cheapest way to go, $50-60 for pair. You may get some lift, adeded capacity, but truck will ride lile a buck board when empty.

A bolt on single helper spring cost about the same, but may rattle when going over big bumps.

Bolt on progressive helper springs can run $120-150. They will give a better ride when empty, engage more as weight is applied. This may also rattle on big bumps if set too loose.

For $207 you can get roadmaster active suspension springs from www.hitch-web.com. They will give about a inch of lift, firm up the rear end, but still give a comfortable ride when empty.

http://www.activesuspension.com/

Old 04-10-2002, 07:42 PM
well... my truck is never "empty" i'm carrying 500 lbs of box and tools all the time. i think i'll go with the added leaf, can you recommend a place to get a pair? what about pulling some off of an old junked truck and put one of those leaves in?

-sal

Old 04-10-2002, 08:24 PM
If you get overload leafs off a junked truck it should lift you truck about 3/4". It won't five you much more load capacity but it won't change the ride at all since the overloads only engage when the truck is heavily loaded. BTW, remember to replace the u-bolts and center bolts when you put them in. They are dirt cheap and it's not worth the risk of having the old ones break.

-Jon

Old 04-11-2002, 11:03 AM
I'd suggest getting a set of leafs out of a salvage yard or something like that. You'll get an inch or so of lift, and you'll get a little more load capacity. I done the exact thing on my pickup, and it raised the back around an inch or so, and TRUE, it does ride a little rougher, but what the hell, I grew up around dodges, so.. i'm used to it i guess. It's not an uncomfortable ride, you can just tell you've done something. I'm not sure how much they'd cost you, becuase I got mine from my uncle's salvage yard, so.. they were free. One word of advice is to measure all your leafs, and then make sure the new one will hit in between your original leafs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: adding a leaf