Idler Arm / Steering Clunk

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2002, 01:18 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Idler Arm / Steering Clunk

I've read on the board that some people have had problems with their idler arms. I believe I may have a problem with mine, but would like comments from others about.

Shortly after driving my 2001 SuperCrew home, I noticed that when making a right-hand turn I occasionally heard a clunk. Normally, the clunk is only heard when I hit a bump during the turn. It was ALWAYS heard when I was making a specific right-hand turn (one with a few potholes in it) down the street from my house, and I must admit that I am a bit fixated on this problem because I drive around this corner at least once per day.

I have since noticed that the problem is most pronounced when at low speeds in uneven terrain, like when off-roading or just driving over bumps.

I have taken a look at the entire steering/suspension system, and believe that there are a few things that don't seem right. Of course, the dealer acts like I am crazy and that there isn't a problem. I'm sure most on this board have heard that before, and I'm not going to give up that easy...

First, the idler arm seems to have WAY TOO MUCH MOVEMENT. If I jack the entire front of the truck up to where both wheels are off the ground, and try to rock either the right of left tire from left to right, the whole steering linkage moves A LOT. The ideler arm moves up and down about 2 inches (at the point of connection to the steering rod) and I can turn one wheel many degrees without it affecting the other wheel. The pitman arm connected to the steering gear doesn't move, so why should the idler arm move sooo much.

Second, I can hear (while performing the above) a clunk from the idler arm and the steering gear. It seems like there is a bit of play in the steering gear itself, which doesn't seem right - but, then again, I need some comments on that.

Moving to the steering linkage between the firewall and the steering gear... I can grab the linkage and wiggle it back and fourth, and I again hear a very pronounced noise coming from the connection at the firewall. If I go inside the truck and try to move the steering linkage as it goes through the firewall, there is a lot of free play.

The overall steering feels somewhat disconnected from the road surface. You might say it feels "vague" or "numb". I believe that there are so many places that have too much free play and the end result is a noisy, loose, disconnected steering. I don't drive the truck very hard at all, but do take it off-roading and around here I spend a good deal of time on dirt roads. Overall, the truck was a bit better when brand-new, but not dramatically.

I can minimize the clunk by greasing the heck out of the idler arm, but it is really just a temporary fix. I've read about so many clunks, wandering steering, etc. that I am starting to believe that the Ford steering system on the F150s is simply a bad design. I looking forward to hearing from other that have had similar or completely different experiences.

Thanks in advance,
Yosh

Old 04-09-2002, 08:21 PM
Yosh-

There will be a small amount of play in the steering box and the entire suspension (tested as you mentioned). No part of the suspension should have 2" of play. If your idler arm is flopping around, it's trash as well as dangerous. Any flexible suspension component that has substantial play should be replaced.

Old 04-09-2002, 08:49 PM
Max is right, your idler arm is toast. If you are still under warranty, then Ford should replace it. If not, then I recommend Moog brand. Mine has held up for a few months now, with my lift and tires, when a direct Ford replacement lasted one week.

Old 04-10-2002, 12:20 AM
Ok, thanks for the replies! I was thinking that the idler arm was trash, but wanted to get some opinions before taking it back to the dealer for the second time. The truck has less than 20,000 and has been trouble free (other than the anoying 3-2 downshift clunk that the dealer told me that they wouldn't fix). The dealer out here is a bit of a joke. When I mentioned that the idler arm had way too much play, they litterally jacked up a brand new truck and showed me that it does the same thing. If anyone has an official specification from a Ford service manual, I could sure use it.

Do you have the part number for the Moog part? If the Ford replacement is going to fail anyway, I rather sped a few bucks for a more reliable part.

Thanks again and I'll keep ya'll posted.

-Yosh

Old 04-10-2002, 10:05 AM
Sorry, I can't locate the old box. But I got mine from NAPA and they will have it. When you compare them, it is obvious that the Moog part is considerably beefier. Also when I mentioned the problems I was having with the Ford factory part to the shop I have align my truck, they said if you look at the Ford idler arm, they spot weld the large nut at the pivot point, and they "think" that subjects that area to enough heat to weaken it. And lastly, the Moog part has a lifetime warranty, so you won't have to buy another one again.

Old 04-15-2002, 09:36 PM
My idler arm went bad on my truck and the dealer told me it's because the factory part doesn't have a grease zerk and they wear out very quickly. They replaced mine with a Ford part that has a Zerk and I have been trouble free since.

Good luck

Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM
My original and Ford dealer part both had zerk fittings.

Old 04-16-2002, 09:08 PM
My 2001 Supercrew came without grease on idler arm and soo much play it was dangerous and I had to tell the service department to replace it because they would just say "it's in tolerance" and I drove the truck for like 9000 miles and I started to hate it. The new arm made all the difference on the road.

Quick Reply: Idler Arm / Steering Clunk