Help with 1"-2" drop

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2002, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Help with 1"-2" drop

Hello everyone, I am comtemplating a 1"-2" drop, the cheap way. I have in mind to get another set of stock front springs, and cut enough coil off to create this drop. I haven't run through the numbers yet, but I'm guessing that will be about a 1/4 to a 1/2 of a coil. Then, I can make new spring hangers for the rear myself. All total invested would be the purchase of some stock springs from the junk yard, if they can be found. The new spring hangers for the rear are no problem. My question is what does a 1"-2" drop on the front do to the camber, alignment, etc? Can this drop be done without using drop spindles, etc, and still achieve good alignment? I anticipate I would be able to get the parts finished about the time I would need to replace the shocks, so if I would also need to change to a shock for a 1"-2" drop, that would be no problem either. Anyone have experience cutting springs? Some guys here at my work have done this on old Mustangs and Nova's, getting as much as a 3" front end drop, and we still able to keep proper aligment, etc. Thanks in advance for your help.

Old 04-08-2002, 06:46 PM
well, if it was me i would just save enough money until i could buy a complete kit. i know a couple of guys who have cut coils on older mustangs and this does work for tehm, but for some reason im not convinced that it will work for a truck. ive never tried it, but i think youre gonna get a really harsh ride. if you re gonna do it, buy a set of factory springs to cut, that way if you dont like it you could always just put the stock ones back in. good luck!

Old 04-09-2002, 08:15 AM
O.K., cutting springs is out of the question. I can get 1" or 2" drop springs for the front for around $150. But, I still want a 1"/2" drop or a 2"/3" drop. I can't find 2" or 3" drop shackles for the rear. I don't want to go 4" because I pull a popup camper frequently, and I still want the truck to set level when I pull, with the rear slightly raised still when empty. I prefer a 1"/2", so does anyone know of any 2" drop shackles available? I know I have to get an alignment, simple rule of thumb (and common sense). What about shocks? If I drop 1" in the front and 2" in the rear, will I still need drop shocks, or will the standard shocks still be suitable?

Old 04-09-2002, 04:58 PM
there are 2'' drop shackles, but they really only drop it about
1 1/4"(thats what mine was)

Old 04-10-2002, 10:48 PM
Look on ebay. I found a set of Lightning springs for $60. That was $40 for the springs and $20 shipping. That will give a 97-02 f-150 a 1" drop the correct way. Lower spring with a higher rate. Then just use the shackels in the rear and you'll have a lowered truck for less than $100.

Luke

Quick Reply: Help with 1"-2" drop