Shock Question....

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2002, 09:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shock Question....

One of my original shocks is leaking, and so I have some questions for the experts here on the forum....I like a truck to ride a little on the stiff side

My truck came with the towing package, and I liked the ride it had. Did the towing package come with stiffer shocks? I am gong to ask my dealer, but they don't always check these things out, if you know what i mean....

Midas sells lifetime guaranteed "Goldrunner" variable damping shocks, which they got when they bought out Gabriel, who developed the technology (it's also now applied in the Edelbrock IAS models, for example). Anyone ever try out the Goldrunners? Are they any good?

My buddies at Midas also carry KYB shocks, too. Are they good? How do they compare to, say, a Rancho 5000?

Thanks a lot for your help-

Old 03-19-2002, 09:52 PM
Thumbs up RS9000's

Got them and love them. You can adjust them as hard or soft as you want them.

Bob

Old 03-19-2002, 11:31 PM
DrDevon,

if you want a fairly stiff ride, go with the 5000's. kyb makes a good shock, but if i remember correctly they are a little on the pricey side.

i've never heard of the "goldrunners". as a rule i've never owned a gabriel shock that i thought was worth much. any i have owned have either broken at the mount, or had the seals go bad pretty quick.

you might also want to look at the monroe reflex. supposedly these are the same as the rancho rsx at a considerable savings.
if this is true they are a better riding shock than the 5000's.

good luck with your choice, Rich.

Old 03-19-2002, 11:45 PM
To answer the first question, "yes" the tow package gets "Heavy Duty Shocks". I'm sure it's the same for the F150 as it is the Expy.

Old 03-20-2002, 07:12 PM
The Reflex's are supposed to be like the Monroe RSX's from everything I have heard. If you go to Advance Auto right now they are having a special sale on the Monroe Sensatracs, I think you get a 50 mail-in rebate for a set of 4 Sensatracs. These offer a smooth yet controled ride, not for sure of the exact stiffness, I know no one that works there can colapse one by hand. They offer the large tube body design of the Monroe Gas-Matic LT series but are supposed to "sense" the road and provide a better ride.

I personally chose the 5000's at first and before I ever had them on traded them in for the Rancho 9000's series. I love mine, I ride around on setting 2 or 3. Settng 5 would have to be rock solid. Pro Comp is has also come out with baisically the same shock but with 6 settings. I would say the settings are just a little finer, probably no extra soft or hardness to them.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:57 PM
DrDevon-

Yes, the Class III towing package comes with heavy duty, gas upgraded shocks. I really prefer the RS 9000s adjustability, but I did like the factory ride too, for that grade of shock. I thought that I would mention to anyone that wanted a set of these OEM HD/gas shocks, that I have a set of all 4 that were taken off of my truck at 1000 miles. They would be great for an older truck on a budget. If anyone is interested shoot me an e-mail at maxxmitchell@netscape.net

Old 03-20-2002, 11:00 PM
I replaced the shocks on my '99 with Rancho RSX's. Loved them. They really stiffened up the ride.

Right now, Summit Racing has a sale on them. Buy 3 at regular price, get the 4th one Free! Summit also offers free ground shipping also. Check out their site at www.summitracing.com.

Old 03-21-2002, 12:16 AM
DrDevon-
I have the Rancho RS5000's and they are stiff. A stiff shock is what I was looking for. I think the Rancho RSX or the RS9000's would be a good choice. It all came down to price for me. All three that I mentioned carry a lifetime warranty.

Quick Reply: Shock Question....