Bad squeak in the steering components

Old 03-18-2002, 02:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Bad squeak in the steering components

Hi There!! I was hoping someone can help me with the squeaking in my steering. It sounds to me like a ball joint or rubber steel joint with no grease. It happens every time I turn the steering whell but goes awayh when it is wet out. I have looked for grease fittings but only found a couple in the whole front end. Help!!!!!

Old 03-18-2002, 05:57 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ill bet $40 that its your pitman arm. It can be fixed quick with a little grease and a needle into the pitman arm boot. Do a search of the boards on how to do it.

Old 03-18-2002, 07:15 PM
Thanks SDIESEL......I'll look into this, but the search for the site is down right now. If you have time to explain it....I'd love your help...if not I'll keep looking in the site search, hopefully they get it working soon. Thats a damn fine lookin ride. I'm hoping to lift mine in the next 6 months.... tell me are you changing U-joints cv joints a lot with the lift? My friend put a 5 inch on his (YECH) chev, and spends more time changing parts than having fun with them. I tell him if you start with A$$ you can't get roses. He swears its all the lift. Take care ...... lic# 4BY FORD

Old 03-18-2002, 08:20 PM
Thats right, Im sorry I forgot the search is down.... It was on this site or "the other one" someone did a hell of a how to on greasing the pitman arm. The pitman arm is on the front pass side of your truck. It has a rubber boot on it, and you will need a grease needle fitting that goes into your grease gun. All you have to do is squeeze a couple shots of good grease into it, and your're done. The needle fitting only costs about $3.00. Damn, someone help me out here and find that posting with the how to! lol

Old 03-20-2002, 08:24 AM
funny, i was coming online to ask the same question and then i saw your post. i am having the same problem with my 99. i am glad to know that it is such an easy fix. thanks sdiesel.

Old 03-20-2002, 08:28 AM
mandrake27, does it happen only when you turn one way? My squeaks only when I turn right.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:22 AM
My 97 2wd did the same thing, luckily I got ford to replace the pitman arm under warranty. There are almost no grease fittings up front, I just had to replace both upper control arms with MOOG parts and the new ones have grease fittings on the upper ball joints, so maybe they will last longer.

Old 03-21-2002, 03:30 AM
YEAHHHHH!!!!!! Thank you !!!! You have no idea how annoying that squeak was! I actually managed to screw an air pump needle into the line off my grease gun and slipped it inside the "boot" Squeak went away after turning lock to lock. SDIESEL you the man! As far as how to...... I found it pretty easy, but I don't think you'd want to puncture thatr boot ... it looks like a real mess to change. So you it was squeaking both ways every time I turned the steering wheel, unless it was really wet out. Thanks again for all your help.

Old 03-21-2002, 07:40 AM
is the boot accessible from above or below? i don't know where it is or much about mechanics, but i do know that mine is squeaking too. any details? thanks!

Old 03-21-2002, 05:56 PM
Its accessible from below. Thats why I wish someone would bring that how to post up, it had pictures and everything! If I took a picture of it, you'd know exactly what I was talking about. It toward the pass side front wheel. Its got a rubber boot covering it, and it kinda goes upward, and you can see it connecting to your steering linkage.

Old 04-13-2002, 12:59 AM
wow thanks. the search came back up and i was fortunate enough to find this thread. i'd been trying to figure out where this nasty squeak had been coming from.

thanks a lot.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bad squeak in the steering components