Got Edelbrocks?

Old 03-02-2002, 04:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got Edelbrocks?

I do. I was just checking the shocks to make sure nothing was loose etc. when I found something a little depressing.

Ok, the instructions for the front shocks say to hand tighten the top nut, then tighted 5-6 turns to preload the bushings. However, it also said that on some applications, the nut would bottom out before 5-6 turns. Mine bottomed out at about 1-2 turns if I remember and I thought that was odd, but id did say that if they bottom out, they are supposed to!

So, almost a year later and the top bushings are chewed almost to pulp. The shock was actually almost floating. I could rock the truck and there was close to 1/4" of play.

So, I "shimmed" them enough that I could tighten the nut and get a slight amount of bulge in the lower bushing (preload). It look much better although I'm not sure I can tell much difference in ride. Afterall, it' wasn't about to fall out, but it was loose enough to chew up the poly-urethane bushings pretty good.

Just an FYI.

By the way, I was checking them to find a "knock" sort of sound that appeared to be coming from the drivers rear. I found it. It's in one of the "trailing arms" (that's not what they're called I'm sure) in the rear suspension. I can rock it from under the truck and I hear the slight "clunk" and a bushing squeak from one end of one of them. I'm not sure if that's normal but I guess I'l be digging to see what the part is and may end up replacing them.

Old 03-04-2002, 10:47 PM
TTT

Anyone? Buhler?

Old 04-08-2002, 10:48 PM
Well.....TTT

Edelbrock replied to an email and said "...we'll send you the proper bushings."

Very short and to the point. Once they get here I'll see just how different they are from what they came with. I just didn't think chewing the bushings up would be normal.

Old 04-09-2002, 01:55 AM
Originally posted by FamilyRide
...Edelbrock replied to an email and said "...we'll send you the proper bushings."
thats cool, at least theyre not hassling you about it or anything.

Old 04-21-2002, 04:48 PM
So the "rest of the story..."

The bushings came in as expected. Actually they sent 4 sets of the front shock bushing kits instead of 2 so I have 2 extra sets. (I'm going with the 2 front and 2 rear shock configuration )

The bushing they sent actually fit as they should. I knew something wasn't right with the ones that came with them. I replaced the bushings and low and behold, they fit right and actually allowed preload and look sooooo much better now. They look like they should and fit l;ike they should.

I'll post pics of what's left of the top bushings. The lower top bushings looked fine but the top's are ground toast.

If you have Eldebrocks look at the top bushings of the front shocks. They should NOT be chewed up and worn if they are.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Got Edelbrocks?