Torsion Bars

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2002, 12:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Torsion Bars

Well,

decided to crank the torsion bars up today. I cranked them each about 7 turns which totaled out to be 1 1/2". I have to go tommorrow to get another alignment because it needs it BAD! Also right now the front sits 1/2" higher than the back, I am going to fix this by adding a 2" Block in the rear. That's right I will now have 10" of lift and some 38.5s on 16.5x12s (hopefully this summer)!

Old 03-02-2002, 01:57 AM
Look'n Good!!!
Love That Truck--Did Grimefighters Install Your Lift??
JJ

Old 03-02-2002, 09:59 PM
Thanks man.

No No, F-W Auto did.

that pic was taken in Beckley Honda's parking lot.

Old 03-02-2002, 10:12 PM
Yea, I bet it needs alignment, if your tie-rods are at any sort of an angle now cranking the t-bars will toe your tires in bad and that's gonna eat them up bad. I can't remember if it was this site that we had a dicussion on why cranking t-bar isn't considered "lifting" your truck. All it does increase ride height greatly decrease the amount that your suspension can travel. What kind of 38's do you want to run, if you have a large offset wheel and do any pounding offroad you're gonna eventually run into problems like I have, that's why I'm converting the front to a Dana 60. You're truck looks awesome, you've gotta love the stance of anything over 35's but when you get over that alot more care and thinking has to go into the way you wheel it and drive it in general. Right now I stay away from pulling anyone out or putting alot of stress on my front end because I'm afraid of blowing a halfshaft or tearing up a CV joint which isn't really what I need now since the parts are expensive and I'll be taking the IFS off this summer, just something to take into consideration.

-Kelly

Old 03-03-2002, 02:22 PM
Kelly,

yeah the tires are toed pretty bad. will an alignment fix this? i am waiting until tuesday to get the alignment because i want to put that 2" block in first. right now i am barely driving the truck, because yes i know that the way they are toed right now, they would wear out in about 2 months. but will just an alignment fix em?

Old 03-03-2002, 02:32 PM
Click the attachment to view a pic to see how bad the tries are "toed".

Old 03-03-2002, 02:42 PM
Yes, your tie rods just have to be lenthened a little by loosing the lock nut and giving the rod a few turns, make sure you get your camber adjusted to so it wears even across the tread pattern.

-Kelly

Old 03-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Thanks man. One of my friends told me I would have to put all new ball joints in. Glad that you know what you are doing

Old 03-03-2002, 06:54 PM
Anytime man.

Last edited by Whiplash_F150; 03-03-2002 at 06:57 PM.
Old 03-06-2002, 11:19 PM
Lightbulb line it yourself!!

i had the same problem sept way worse! kelly is right about loosening the nuts and turning the center link. one over on him though!1. jack the front tires off the ground2. set a block in front of one wheel 3. use a flat screwdriver propped on the edge of the block touching your tire dead center 4. have a buddy turn the wheel until you get a visible line all the way around your tire, do on both. 5. measure from 1" on tape measure, NOT from the hook or 0" front side of tire first, record measurement. 6. record measuremt. on back side,"measure from middleways on each tire as far as up and down goes" record. 7. now turn your center link equal turns on each side to get the same measurements front side of tires as well as back side of tires. it's free and just as good as a $85 dollar alignment! any questions just ask...

Quick Reply: Torsion Bars