Drop to improve handling

Old 02-26-2002, 05:00 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drop to improve handling

I have broke down and ordered a new F150, been using a gran marquis as a tow vehicle for 10 years. My experiences with trucks are limited but they have not been favorable. I bought a new ranger (4 banger) in 94 and it literally was the worst handling and riding vehicle I have ever owned. I have rode in 80's Fords and some 90's chevy full size trucks and did not like the ride. I am a diehard car person but needed a truck for my boat.

Could I lower this thing to improve the handling? What about the ride is there any thing I could do for that?

Old 02-26-2002, 07:59 PM
kysard-

Late model F-150s don't handle bad for trucks at all. They're vastly improved over previous models. You can set them up with adjustable shocks to handle firm or ride smooth. To improve handling, I did upgraded tires, adjustable shocks, and front & rear anti-sway bars. Each one was an improvement and they combined for a versatile handling package. The most noticeable for me was the front anti-sway bar. Good Luck !!

Old 02-26-2002, 11:18 PM
Well if its handling you want you should check out the Hotchkis 2/3 drop kit. Thats probably your best bet for handling improvement. The kit includes drop coils and leafs with optional (but recomended) Bilstein shocks. Also going with lower profile would help to but then bigger wheels are necessary too! Oh be sure to see how the Hotckis kit affect payload capacity! Some upgraded sway bars won't hurt either.

Old 03-02-2002, 08:27 PM
Lowering and handling

I lowered my X 2" with the beltech kit and nitro active shocks, put 18" wheels, 295/45/18 Toyo Proxies, upgraded the front sway bar bushing with engery suspension and installed a rear Helwig bar. It handles unbelievably, and is a lot of fun to drive.

I does ride much stiffer but is not too bad as it it my wifes daily driver and she does not mind. I also tow a 21' V drive wakeboard boat and it pulls fine.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Drop to improve handling