What's The Best Way To Drop Front End Three Inches?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 02:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's The Best Way To Drop Front End Three Inches?

Some sellers recommend a pair of springs to lower the front end of an F150 3 inches.

I have heard that you can end up with terrible tire wear problems taking the cheap way out. Has anyone expierenced tire wear by lowering with springs?

Even though it's more expensive, I think the "best" way to lower the front end is to install upper and lower control arms, to avoid tire wear problems. Using the original front coil springs you end up with the same spring rate. The springs sit down in 3" deep pockets in the new control arms and the truck doesn't even know it's been lowered. Neither does the alignment man. New upper control arms have all kinds of caster and camber adjustment.

Using upper and lower control arms mean you don't have to buy new coil springs or a caster/camber bolt kit. They are no longer necessary. Is this correct?

What do you guys think? I need some guidance from someone who has been there and done that ... and isn't experiencing excessive tire wear.

BillVoyles

Last edited by Bill Voyles; 02-24-2002 at 03:14 AM.
Old 02-24-2002, 12:42 PM
the coils are cheaper than the arms. the arms would be the best way to go in my opinion if you dont mind taking a little more out of the ole pocket book. i cant see the coils causing to much damage if any. im sure some one has done and knows more than me so i will shut up now

Old 02-24-2002, 11:48 PM
I think control arms are probably the best way to go too. But I have not seen any past a 2in. drop though. I went the less expensive route with the Belltech 3in. coils and I have had no problems so far. They have been on since July 01 and I have not seen any uneven tire wear either! Also Roush uses 3in. coils also on their trucks so coils can't be all that bad!

Old 02-25-2002, 12:01 AM
you are all good if your alignment is set rite

Quick Reply: What's The Best Way To Drop Front End Three Inches?