Highway sailboat

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2002, 02:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Highway Sailboat

I know that a truck is designed to carry a load. With a load my 99' F-150 supercab, flareside with 265/75/16's and nerf bars handles and drives well. Yet, without a load, on a windy day on the straightaways, the bodyroll is so bad, my truck steers like a sailboat on the lake. Besides lowering it (I am trying to keep the stock height), what can I do to eliminate the bodyroll and make my steering more sensitive like a sports car with rack and pinion steering? Or is lowering it the best way to eliminate body roll?

I know that a rear swaybar and shocks will help. It appears that Hotchkis and Hellwigg make the largest diameter swaybars with Hellwigg being about half the cost of Hotchkis. But what about shocks? Many like Bilstien, Edelbrock, Rancho, and Koni. Which shock is best for highway only driving to eliminate body roll and increase steering sensitivity on the straight aways as well as curves?

I was also informed that putting a full polyurathane bushing kit on the entire truck will provide a stiff and sensitive ride. Yet, some guys say this kits can damage bolts, requires a total teardown several times a year to lube them and is not worth it. However, I do not care if firmly planting the wheels on the road makes for a rougher ride, I am use to a Firebird and a Harley. I need to feel more control through the steering wheel and the least body roll possible on the straight aways.

Is there anything eles I can do to eliminate body roll on straight aways and increase the steering sensitivity to perform like a sports car's rack and pinion steering? Does a Lightning steer like a sports car or what about race trucks? If so, what do they have that I need? Thanks.

Last edited by iron horse; 02-22-2002 at 10:32 AM.
Old 02-22-2002, 02:50 AM
rs 9000's set on #5 setting will ride very stiff, i set them on 5 when driving in the mountain roads and squeal the tires but did not role the body with a 9 inch lift

Old 02-22-2002, 10:18 AM
VRunner,

If you drove your truck with your 9 inch lift and the rs9000's set on #5 (is that the stiffest setting?), on a straight portion of an interstate highway on a windy day with no load, would you have body roll? Thanks.

Last edited by iron horse; 02-22-2002 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-22-2002, 07:47 PM
This was my old truck and the steering wasn't great and with 35x12.5x15's that add alot of sidewall will flex and turn the truck but besides wandering the truck did not roll I even took off the sway bar for a while and it did ok, but it needed to go back on.

I had 2 full length add a leafs in the rear and 15% stiffer front springs
maybe bump up the spring rate with some add a leafs and then put in a drop shackle to take it back to stock height. maybe you have to flexy of a spring

Quick Reply: Highway sailboat