Tie rod end broke at 65000 km

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2002, 08:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tie rod end broke at 65000 km

Yesterday I was backing into a parking space when I noticed that something was fishy with my steering. I could turn the steering to full lock and my truck would still not go in the right direction. When I heard scraping noises I stopped and had a look underneath.

One of the tie rod ends had broken off at the ball joint on the outer end and was now pointed straight down on the ground.

Anybody else have this problem? It looks like the tie rod end and the ball that it's attached to is held together by some rubber-like seal that broke on mine. My truck is about 5 years old, but it's only got 65000 km on it.

The guys at the garage replaced the entire tie rod, which I suppose was a prudent thing to do, although I guess it's my fault for not insisting on a call with an estimate before starting the work. I did look at the old parts at least, the seal on the other end of the tie rod had cuts in it and didn't look so good.

$128 parts
$90 labour

$250 total (incl taxes)

Has anybody else had this happen to them? Do these tie rods go that easily? I'm thinking I should get an alignment next, but maybe it might be a better idea to replace the other tie rod first?

Quick Reply: Tie rod end broke at 65000 km