Lube the steering linkage?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2002, 04:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lube the steering linkage?

I noticed in the maintenance manual it says to lube the steering linkage at 15000 miles. Can anyone tell me where to look and what to look for as well as what kind of grease fitting to look for.

Thanks.

Old 02-10-2002, 04:19 PM
That's easy, use to do it to my 95 and to my 01 SD last night. Just crawl under the front of the truck and look up at where the linkage rods end. There will be 4 points to lube using a standard size that can be found locally at any shop. When lubing, just watch the rubber pouch fill up. When you hear or see it overflow a little, you know it's done. Oh, and don't forget to put the caps back on, they are kinda important.

Old 02-11-2002, 11:34 AM
Linkage location.

Thanks, Good to know that I don't have to find a well hidden nipple somewhere along the steering column.

Old 02-13-2002, 02:13 PM
Question Lubing the linkage.

thewhiteford,

I got under while I was changing the oil and I could only find one place where I could lube, the folks at the dealership say they're sealed and don't need lubing. Is this right or what? Thanks.

Old 02-14-2002, 12:27 AM
I guess that's possible. Because my Superduty has a straight axle, the linkage will, of course, be different. Funny though, my '95 had the TTB IFS and had the same lube points. As far as anything being sealed, I thought the u-joints were permanently sealed and those were the parts that don't need lubrication. In my old '79 Fords, they had lube points everywhere. The linkage and u-joints. Maybe today's IFS with wishbone suspension has changed that much more.
If I come across an answer, I'll be sure to post it for you. Till then, good luck and sorry I can't give you a definate answer, but I try to stay far away from IFS as I can. Love that straight axle.

Old 02-14-2002, 10:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My 97 F-150 reg cab has 2 grease fittings. One on each end of the steering arm, whatever it is called.

Old 02-14-2002, 09:58 PM
Mine has 2 zerk fittings total; both on the idler arm.

Quick Reply: Lube the steering linkage?