Really rough ride with new Rancho 7000's

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2015, 04:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Really rough ride with new Rancho 7000's

Just installed new Rancho 7000 shocks on all four corners of my 2004 SCAB last Friday along with a slew of other suspension items. Before the install I was running a 2" leveling kit in the front on top of my OEM shocks. When shopping around for shocks I did speak to the rep here and was told the 7000's are a monotube and would level my truck on their own and would run a little "firm". When I installed them I removed my leveling kit and reused the stock springs. After driving around on them for two days now it rides obnoxiously rough. I may as well have installed 2x4's up front. The rears ride really nice. I can't go over anything or even pull into my driveway without jarring the fillings out of my head. Will these shocks soften up after a few miles on them? They are also causing me a lot of alignment problems. I'm hoping everything will settle in the next few days but if not they are coming out!

Old 10-12-2015, 05:22 PM
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Refresh my memory are you running the 2" quickLIFT using the RS7792? We always suggest an alignment, this would allow the reuse of the OE spring (as you know). As you know you have the 90 day Ride and Performance guarantee. Keep us posted. Matt

Originally Posted by dont slow down
Just installed new Rancho 7000 shocks on all four corners of my 2004 SCAB last Friday along with a slew of other suspension items. Before the install I was running a 2" leveling kit in the front on top of my OEM shocks. When shopping around for shocks I did speak to the rep here and was told the 7000's are a monotube and would level my truck on their own and would run a little "firm". When I installed them I removed my leveling kit and reused the stock springs. After driving around on them for two days now it rides obnoxiously rough. I may as well have installed 2x4's up front. The rears ride really nice. I can't go over anything or even pull into my driveway without jarring the fillings out of my head. Will these shocks soften up after a few miles on them? They are also causing me a lot of alignment problems. I'm hoping everything will settle in the next few days but if not they are coming out!

Old 10-12-2015, 08:49 PM
Yes I'm using the 7792. Will they soften at all? My alignment was so off I had to order a cam kit to adjust the LCA. Still waiting for those to come in to get the alignment

Old 10-13-2015, 10:06 AM
Former Sponsor
It will get a bit softer over time but not that much. What needs to happen (and that is why we have the 90 day return) is to get used to this style of shock. Again if not happy you have that 90 days to return.

Yes I'm using the 7792. Will they soften at all? My alignment was so off I had to order a cam kit to adjust the LCA. Still waiting for those to come in to get the alignment

Old 10-13-2015, 12:34 PM
I don't understand why the rears are soft though if they are the same shock

Old 10-13-2015, 02:41 PM
Former Sponsor
Couple of reasons:
Different valving
You are a lot closer to the front than the rear, so will "feel" it in the seat of the pants more
Another thought... what is your tire pressure?

I don't understand why the rears are soft though if they are the same shock

Old 10-13-2015, 11:07 PM
I'm running the ford recommended PSI of 38lbs.

Old 10-14-2015, 10:51 AM
Former Sponsor
This is something you could play around with too, if you want.

I'm running the ford recommended PSI of 38lbs.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I don't think the psi is going to drastically improve the ride enough for you. You'd run the risk of ruining your tires if you went that low anyway.

I went with Monroe quick struts as I heard the Ranchos are a little rough. I also liked the ease of the quick strut being a pre assembled unit. (If you're 2wd, putting their 4wd quick struts in your truck will lift you 1.5-2").

Some like the feel of those shocks, they're a quality product, but not for everyone.

If I were you, id return them and get something OE equivalent as it seems that's what you're going for.

Also, you say you needed a cam kit, how much did these shocks lift you? Did you end up the same as with the 2" level or are you higher? When the front of my truck was lifted 2", I didn't need a cam kit. What kind of shop is doing the work? Id take it to a shop that specializes in lifted trucks.

Last edited by 2008_XL; 10-14-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Former Sponsor
Not a drastic improvement but still an improvement. As my friends on the tire side always say, "The tire is the biggest shock absorber on your car." Ha!

I would look into the RS9000XL for the front, as this gets you the ride you want, by being adjustable.
And good info too on the shop etc.

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
I don't think the psi is going to drastically improve the ride enough for you. You'd run the risk of ruining your tires if you went that low anyway.

I went with Monroe quick struts as I heard the Ranchos are a little rough. I also liked the ease of the quick strut being a pre assembled unit. (If you're 2wd, putting their 4wd quick struts in your truck will lift you 1.5-2").

Some like the feel of those shocks, they're a quality product, but not for everyone.

If I were you, id return them and get something OE equivalent as it seems that's what you're going for.

Also, you say you needed a cam kit, how much did these shocks lift you? Did you end up the same as with the 2" level or are you higher? When the front of my truck was lifted 2", I didn't need a cam kit. What kind of shop is doing the work? Id take it to a shop that specializes in lifted trucks.

Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM

Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
Not a drastic improvement but still an improvement. As my friends on the tire side always say, "The tire is the biggest shock absorber on your car." Ha!

I would look into the RS9000XL for the front, as this gets you the ride you want, by being adjustable.
And good info too on the shop etc.
Those, I definitely have heard good things about! Only reason I went with Monroe over them was because I wanted stock ride hight that came in a pre assembled shock / coil spring package.

Anyway, you are absolutely right about tires, I've tried low to high and anywhere in between. While it'll definitely make a deifference, what I meant is, I just don't think it'll be drastic enough for him.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:08 PM
Former Sponsor
Talking

Where's the "like" button?

Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Those, I definitely have heard good things about! Only reason I went with Monroe over them was because I wanted stock ride hight that came in a pre assembled shock / coil spring package.

Anyway, you are absolutely right about tires, I've tried low to high and anywhere in between. While it'll definitely make a deifference, what I meant is, I just don't think it'll be drastic enough for him.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rancho Shocks
Where's the "like" button?

This site could use one of those!

Old 10-14-2015, 02:42 PM
I just installed Bilstein 5100's all around, they ride nice and comfortable, like a Cadillac . Lifted the truck 1" in the front, 0.5" in the rear.

Another option.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:13 PM
Former Sponsor
Wink

A 5100 is a monotube style shock like our RS7000MT. Ours are charged LESS than theirs.

Originally Posted by Hawkz28
I just installed Bilstein 5100's all around, they ride nice and comfortable, like a Cadillac . Lifted the truck 1" in the front, 0.5" in the rear.

Another option.

Quick Reply: Really rough ride with new Rancho 7000's