2" leveling kit, tires wearing out

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2015, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2" leveling kit, tires wearing out

Hello all,

I have a '13 Screw 4X4. I installed a Hell Bent Steel 2" leveling spacer and got an alignment at the dealer. The outer edge of my tires started wearing very fast. I rotated the tires and got another alignment at Discount Tire. They said the wheels are aligned perfectly but couldn't explain the tire wear. The tires continued to wear. For giggles, I took it to yet another alignment shop. They said the toe was off very, very slightly. Again, I was told it wasn't off enough to cause the tire wear.

I love the look of the truck leveled but not enough to keep going through tires. Any suggestions?

Thanks folks...

Old 04-01-2015, 04:32 PM
Just out of curiosity, have any of the places you've gotten alignments at actually do alignments for lifted/leveled trucks?

Reason is, unless they've done it before they usually try to set everything to stock specs whereas off-road truck shops will do the compensation to do it correctly.

Old 04-01-2015, 11:30 PM
Pizza man, no, they weren't specialty shops. I was under the impression that the spacer simply lifts the coil and only need a standard alignment.

Old 04-03-2015, 01:24 PM
Typically, toe in condition would cause rapid outer tire wear and I would think multiple alignments would insure that is not the case. Excessive positive camber would wear outer fronts as well, although not very quickly. This would be easy to determine by naked eye because your front tires would appear to be tilted out when wheel is straight ahead as viewed from front of vehicle.
A potential is could be the lift caused a significant change in geometry and the outside tire is turning a smaller circle than designed and as a result scuffing the outer edge.

You basically need a better front end mechanic to diagnose.

Old 04-16-2015, 11:24 AM
Here's what my tires look like...

Old 04-17-2015, 04:40 PM
I did the Rancho Quicklift Loaded's, and new BFG Rugged Terrains almost 50k ago...had it aligned at the same time...I have had nothing but alignment problems since...toe in was the worst part causing the tires to scallop on the inner edges...I have had 2 alignments since ...I am almost ready for my next set of tires...what are the differences from the factory specs would a tech need to change?

I am running Stock size LT275/65/18...I had 3 sets of tires previously that they all wore evenly...no alignment problems up to 128k miles...

Old 04-17-2015, 05:35 PM
This is the tire i had in the front for a little over a month before i rotated them to the rear. You can see the big difference between the outside edge (right) and the inside edge (left) in the short time they were in the front.

Old 04-24-2015, 10:10 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Your tire pressures are ok right? How quickly did they wear down? If it was over a couple weeks I'd say its the toe in. Could be shot ball joints too though.

Last edited by dont slow down; 04-24-2015 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: 2" leveling kit, tires wearing out