Front end height help

Old 01-29-2015, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Front end height help

I've been trying to figure this out for a while, 2wd truck and I simply want 4x4 height up front.

Id added 4x4 length coilovers up front as everyone stated that would give me the same hight as a 4x4. However, this is not correct as I'm about an inch taller than a 4x4. Obviously there are some other parts up front that are different in 2wd vs 4wd and adding the longer coilovers just doesn't give the same height.

1" spacer on a 2wd coilover? How much would that actually lift? Basically, up front im about 2-2.5 higher than stock 2wd and have 3" block in the rear. I was to take the nose down and inch and the rear down 1-1.5" I have a bunch of different high rear blocks so that'll be easy.

Anyone have any real life info on this? As I said, everyone said "all you need to do is add 4x4 coilovers up front" but I'm posting as a question and to let everyone know that's actually false.

Old pic with smaller tires, but here's my truck vs a 2wd.
Front end height help-yxent82.jpg

Thanks!

Old 01-29-2015, 07:39 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008_XL
Anyone have any real life info on this? As I said, everyone said "all you need to do is add 4x4 coilovers up front" but I'm posting as a question and to let everyone know that's actually false.
It's actually true if you have a V8 which is normally where that advice is given. The weight difference between the V8 and V6 is why you got that extra inch or so.

A stock 4x4 vs a stock 4x2 is roughly 1-1.5" higher. Being that you have a V6, and majority of spacers/lift coilovers on the market are for V8's you'll need to find one somewhere in the range on .75-1" unless you can specifically find one for the V6's in which case you'd want around a 1-1.5" spacer.

As for the rear suspension, engine weight isn't affecting that so just go with whatever size block fits the look you're trying to achieve.

Old 01-30-2015, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaman711
It's actually true if you have a V8 which is normally where that advice is given. The weight difference between the V8 and V6 is why you got that extra inch or so.

A stock 4x4 vs a stock 4x2 is roughly 1-1.5" higher. Being that you have a V6, and majority of spacers/lift coilovers on the market are for V8's you'll need to find one somewhere in the range on .75-1" unless you can specifically find one for the V6's in which case you'd want around a 1-1.5" spacer.

As for the rear suspension, engine weight isn't affecting that so just go with whatever size block fits the look you're trying to achieve.
Makes sense. But, to be fair, before I lifted my front end, it was the exact same hight as my friends 2005 2wd with the 4.6.

So, are you sure the engine has THAT much to do with it? Not doubting or saying you're wrong by any means, I just want to figure this out as best as I can.

Old 01-30-2015, 04:11 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Makes sense. But, to be fair, before I lifted my front end, it was the exact same hight as my friends 2005 2wd with the 4.6.

So, are you sure the engine has THAT much to do with it? Not doubting or saying you're wrong by any means, I just want to figure this out as best as I can.
Howdy.

Here's a hint.

Have a look at the springs here - listings for 2008 F150. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=F-150#Search

Why do you suppose there are both Left & Right springs AND so many multiple Spring Codes fer same truck?

So - what's your specific spring code?

MGD

Old 01-30-2015, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by MGDfan
Howdy.

Here's a hint.

Have a look at the springs here - listings for 2008 F150. http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/Ca...o=F-150#Search

Why do you suppose there are both Left & Right springs AND so many multiple Spring Codes fer same truck?

So - what's your specific spring code?

MGD
You know, you're too helpful! Thank you. Something I never thought of. I knew about the different rear spring codes, but never thought about the front. I always end up going with pre assembled coilovers and they don't give you that option. Maybe the ones I have on my 4.2, were intended for something much heavier.

I think I'll get some 2wd coilovers and try a 1" spacer. However, I've read sometimes they give you a little more or less lift.

Ahh, if I go lower, the tow mirrors will look funny and will need to be replaced. Trucks are hard. Haha

Old 01-30-2015, 08:16 PM

I wouldn't doubt that both of the trucks were the same height, just different springs like MGD said.

You know, you're too helpful! Thank you. Something I never thought of. I knew about the different rear spring codes, but never thought about the front. I always end up going with pre assembled coilovers and they don't give you that option. Maybe the ones I have on my 4.2, were intended for something much heavier.

I think I'll get some 2wd coilovers and try a 1" spacer. However, I've read sometimes they give you a little more or less lift.

Ahh, if I go lower, the tow mirrors will look funny and will need to be replaced. Trucks are hard. Haha
Since it's rare to see a 4x4 with the 4.2, I'd suspect that was the case. You could try even just going to a set of 4x2 coilovers that came of a truck with a V8. The spacer will help keep your ride quality a bit better though due to the springs being rated for a heavier load.

Old 01-31-2015, 11:39 AM

Thanks guys. You brought up some things Id never thought about. I'll start by getting some 2wd springs made for a v6. I'll try a 1" or 1.5" spacer with those.

Thanks again!

Old 01-31-2015, 02:06 PM

I might try out the rancho quick lift coilover assembly for rwd. It says it'll lift the front 1-3/4"

Old 02-13-2015, 04:49 PM
Received 45 Likes on 44 Posts
Or you could just put your stock coils on the 4x4 coil overs?

Old 02-16-2015, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by tbear853
Or you could just put your stock coils on the 4x4 coil overs?
Thanks! I think what I'm going to do is get 2wd coilovers and add a 1" spacer. I'm just trying to figure out if that 1" spacer ACTUALLY will give me exactly 1" of lift or if it'll give me more or less. Was looking into the day star brand.

Getting new tires again this week. Going back to Firestone Destination A/T in a P245/70/17 size.

I had them prior to the coopers and they were better in snow, much quieter and rode much nicer. Not to mention I got better mpgs with the smaller size.

I'd like the front end to come down 1/2 to an inch and I'll replace my rear 3" blocks with the oem 2" I have or the set of aluminum 2.5" that I also have.

Might need to lose the tow mirrors if I do that. Think it'll look funny? Damn, getting the right stance isn't easy. Ha

Old 02-18-2015, 12:01 PM
Spacer thickness is not a 1:1 ratio to lift height. It's more like 1:1.35.

Meaning, a 1 inch thick spacer is going to net you between 1.25-1.5" of ride height increase. Each truck is different as you've experienced. To gain just a single inch of ride height the spacer would need to be around 0.8" thick, roundabouts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front end height help