Need ideas from the suspension experts !

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Need ideas from the suspension experts !

I've got an 05 Lariat 4x4 Screw with a 2.5" AS front lift and 1.5" AAl in the rear. Currently running 35/12.5/17 KM2 with 17x8 rims with 5" of backspace. The truck just turned 55K miles and I am looking to upgrade the suspension. I am looking at a Zone 4 inch lift so it will still fit in my garage and give me better off road capabilities, not interested in the 6. My question is if I have it torn apart to install the lift I will replace the front shock assembly, do I need to do a coil over or just the front shock ? What would be my best option? I want to do it one time and do it right without breaking the bank.

My neighbor will help me do the install so labor should be at a minimum, I just need ideas as to what my options are or the best brands to go with. The more I search and read the more confused I get so any ideas would be appreciated.

Thank you in advance for your input !

Last edited by Dog'em; 01-27-2015 at 06:11 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 08:13 AM
bump

Old 01-28-2015, 12:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just trying to clarify. Your truck currently have coilover shocks. If the lift kit comes with a large spacer to attach to OEM coilovers (like the Pro Comp and other kits), you can just replace shock portion with an OEM replacement (like Bilstiens) and reuse the OEM coil spring. Or you can replace your OEM coilovers with a longer coilover that will probably come with new coil springs.

Old 01-28-2015, 06:03 PM
Originally Posted by wandell
Just trying to clarify. Your truck currently have coilover shocks. If the lift kit comes with a large spacer to attach to OEM coilovers (like the Pro Comp and other kits), you can just replace shock portion with an OEM replacement (like Bilstiens) and reuse the OEM coil spring. Or you can replace your OEM coilovers with a longer coilover that will probably come with new coil springs.
Thanks Wandell, yes the lift I am looking at is the spacer on top of the coilover, and that is my question, which is the better way to go - leave the oem coilover spring and just replace the shock or replace the entire coilover assembly ? And what brands are my best options for either? The big brands like Fox and King are probably out of my price range, I know everyone on here likes Bilstiens which are great shocks, I was just interested in what options there are out there to get quality road handling with a smooth off road ride without emptying my bank account. Thanks again.

Old 01-28-2015, 08:56 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
From my over-studies of this topic, they both will ride the same pretty much. It is purely a matter of preference. Do you want a hunk of steel exposed in your suspension, or the tougher look of a full coil spring stuffed into the entire wheel well. Option two looks much much nicer.

Old 01-29-2015, 05:22 PM
Thanks Darren - like stated before, the more I try to research this topic the more questions I have. So if I go with a Zone or Rough Country lift I would be ok to re-use the oem coilover sping and could just replace the shock inside it with something like a Bilstien or Rancho ?

I agree the second option that you listed probably looks nicer but at what cost ? Not really worried how it looks, just want what functions the best for the money I will be spending.

Quick Reply: Need ideas from the suspension experts !