Front tires scalloping

Old 08-21-2014, 11:48 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Front tires scalloping

So the front tires on my 05 SCREW 4X4 are scalloping...had the front aligned in June because of the scalloping...in specs now...

Seems like the truck is pulling right pretty good...and the front left is wearing worse...I did have the tires rotated before the alignment so the original scalloping tires are in the rear...

I had Quick Lift loaded's and new BFG Rugged Terrain's put on about 34K ago with an alignment after the install...

I had never had any tire wear issues prior (128k miles)...

Any ideas? I always rotate at 5k...

Regards!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:53 AM
Forgot to mention tires are LT 275/65/18 (original size)...and boy are things noisy...

Old 08-21-2014, 07:27 PM
Did you go to the same alignment place or a different one for the second alignment?

Since you have a level on there if you didn't, you need to get it aligned at a place that does alignments for lifted vehicles.

Places that rarely align vehicles that aren't stock usually can't get the alignment as good.

Another possibility is tie rod ends/ball joints are worn and the alignment just isn't holding.

Old 08-22-2014, 01:40 PM
Same place did both alignments...a local Big -O...havent crawled underneath to see if the tie rod ends are ok...

Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
So I had the tires balanced and rotated today...left front needed 6 oz of weight...the tire tech rotated the tire on the rim about 180 degrees and it cut the weight way down...

I am wondering if the tire is going bad? That tire is now the Left rear...

They checked the alignment also...its in specs...

The front was vibrating real bad from 65-75 mph...haven't had a chance to get it on the freeway to see if it is still shakin...

It's real strange that it should be that far out...

Old 09-01-2014, 05:57 PM
I've lost count of how many sets of All Terrain T/As I've ran over the years, and I've always had trouble with the outer blocks of tread getting cutoff. For me I finally figured out the problem - tire pressure!

As little as 2 PSI high for a day's worth of driving is enough to put a noticeable pattern on the tires. Get down to where I should be and the pattern restores itself in no time.

Old 09-02-2014, 07:01 PM
I am running my tires about 10 -15 psi high...at 55 psi right now...

At the door sticker pressure (40 psi) I think, they look like they are almost flat. The rim is just inches from the ground...I found that 50-55 psi gives the illusion that they are properly inflated (i also get a bit better fuel economy)...

The real bad tire that was moved to the rear is still out of balance...I drove to Lake Tahoe this weekend (300 mile round trip) and could feel the rear shaking starting around 65 mph and continues through about 75 mph...

The truck came with LT's, so that is what I have replaced with every time..this is my third replacement set (2-toyo's, 1 BFG). They have to be re-balanced every 4-5k miles cuz the truck starts shaking...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Front tires scalloping