air bag helpers question

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2014, 07:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
air bag helpers question

i am going to put air bags on my truck to help with sag from towing. my question is, is it better to keep the bags independent of each other? my brothers setup has a separate air line going to each bag. my dads setup has a supply air line teeing of to both bags. if they are tied together will a bump on one side force air over to the other bag forcing that wheel down? or is it not an issue either way?

Old 01-08-2014, 08:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
The tee gives you convenient filling but that's about it. Having the shared line will allow the bags to transfer air from one bag to the other during driving, shifting loads, etc; this is something you don't want. You won't be able to balance from side to side with a tee. Even driving in a curve would allow air to flow back and forth. Individual lines is the only way to go IMO. You can fine tune each side as needed.

Old 01-10-2014, 08:26 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine are connected. I only air mine up for towing or hauling. My bilsteins keep my rear end stiff enough. Sometime I do air up to 10PSI for a slightly stiffer ride.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our compressor/controller kits are available in single or dual path models. Dual path allows you to inflate each air spring independently to different pressures depending on load, while single path allows you to inflate both air springs at the same rate at the same time. A lot of people that tow the same size load all the time or just use a trailer will go with the simple single path. Some people like to control each side or carry unenven loads in the bed of their trucks.

Old 01-17-2014, 01:58 PM
I put mine dual line and happy with it.
i doubt tee would have changed anything since I have a sway bar which help.

Old 02-03-2014, 05:24 PM
Have a question about the rear air helper springs, myself and a buddy of mine both got the same style springs from AIRLIFT and we have both blown one when going off roading with only about 25PSI in them they keep breaking the tops and bottom mounts off, I've seen some people say limiting straps are not needed but some say they are. any inputs??? and how much should I limit them.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 AM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by MLKE1688
Have a question about the rear air helper springs, myself and a buddy of mine both got the same style springs from AIRLIFT and we have both blown one when going off roading with only about 25PSI in them they keep breaking the tops and bottom mounts off, I've seen some people say limiting straps are not needed but some say they are. any inputs??? and how much should I limit them.
Sent PM.

Old 05-07-2015, 03:21 PM
I know its been over a year since anything has been posted on this thread but I am about to buy a set of air helper springs for my 05 f150. I don't take my truck off road a whole lot but do on occasion when camping. Do I need limiting straps on my rear suspension to keep from ripping bags apart?

Old 05-11-2015, 08:57 AM
not when installed properly. (following the procedure)

the shocks are the "limiting strap"

Old 05-12-2015, 12:13 AM
Mine were installed 100% correctly and they ripped the nuts off the top threads, airlift will even tell you limiting straps are a must. I didn't want to limit my travel cause I tow a crazy amount of weight and I'm always off road at mud bogs the best thing to do that me and a buddy did was we went out and got some cheap 1 1/2 inch lift blocks and put them under the bags and simply got a longer bolt for the bottom and I've never had a problem sense. I tried every pressure you can imagine and it still pulled the nut off . Either strap it or lift the bags a little

Old 05-12-2015, 12:17 AM
And the shocks are not the limiting straps that's 100% incorrect the suspension has about a 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch more travel than the bag is made for.

Old 05-12-2015, 04:13 PM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by Hal65ford
I know its been over a year since anything has been posted on this thread but I am about to buy a set of air helper springs for my 05 f150. I don't take my truck off road a whole lot but do on occasion when camping. Do I need limiting straps on my rear suspension to keep from ripping bags apart?
The only time you would really need limiting straps would be if the truck goes up on a frame contact hoist where the rear end is not supported, or if you are doing some serious off roading. I do some lite off roading in my F-150 and have never had an issue with damaging a bag at all.

The shocks are NOT the limiter on the F-150 suspension.

Old 05-18-2015, 11:31 PM
Originally Posted by AirLiftCompany
The only time you would really need limiting straps would be if the truck goes up on a frame contact hoist where the rear end is not supported, or if you are doing some serious off roading. I do some lite off roading in my F-150 and have never had an issue with damaging a bag at all.

The shocks are NOT the limiter on the F-150 suspension.
OK so only if I am doing some serious off roading or if I am lifting the truck up by the frame I should have limiting straps. I would rather not have to crawl under the truck in the mud in the case that Im camping and worried about ripping a bag apart. Where can I buy a set of limiting straps and what length do I need them?

Old 05-29-2015, 12:19 PM
Sponsor
Originally Posted by Hal65ford
OK so only if I am doing some serious off roading or if I am lifting the truck up by the frame I should have limiting straps. I would rather not have to crawl under the truck in the mud in the case that Im camping and worried about ripping a bag apart. Where can I buy a set of limiting straps and what length do I need them?
Any good off-road/website should have them available. They will also know what length you will need.

Quick Reply: air bag helpers question