New ball joints...now humming noise???

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2007 4WD, 52,500 miles...

Front end was creaking like nobody's business, turned out to be the ball joints, had the shop put in the greasable moog ones (UCA's and lower BJs). Creaking is now gone.

I pick it up and drive off, now I have a low-pitched humming noise and very slight vibration (I can feel it in the pedals, floorboard). It's there at all speeds, and seems to vary with speed, but is noticeably the worst at around 30mph and 60mph, and when decelerating. The only way I can describe the noise is that it is faint, and the pitch is similar to that of a small single-engine cessna flying overhead. I take it back and they tell me it sounds like the beginning of a wheel bearing going bad, but there's no play in it and that it isn't an immediate concern. Sound does not seem to change if I am turning or going straight. Also, steering feels a bit tighter than it did before, but the vehicle tracks straight.

Does this seem odd to anyone else? It wasn't doing it before I got the new ball joints installed, and now it is? They did an alignment by taking measurements by hand, they do not have a machine that will fit my truck's tire size (only running 33's), and said to keep an eye on tire wear and if I notice it uneven, to take it to a shop that can fit my truck. They also told me that the play in the old ball joints was mostly up/down, and shouldn't have effected the camber to make the tires wear badly. I am thinking about taking it to Kost to get an alignment done on their machines.

Last edited by Turd Fergy; 02-16-2012 at 07:56 AM.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM
Sounds like the alignment is off some. I'd take it to a shop that has the equipment to actually work on it and get it checked.

Old 03-05-2017, 10:24 PM
What did u figure out with this humming issue? I have the same exact problem and I cannot figure it out? I got an alignment and bearings are fine. It started happening right after replacing lower ball joints.

Old 08-17-2020, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Has anyone figured out what the cause of this was? I have the same issue with my 2012 F150. Had new ball joints, tires and alignment done and now the humming noise. I took it back and now they say I need a new transfer case.

The following users liked this post:
Old 08-28-2020, 01:11 PM
were you able to figure out what caused the humming sound. I replaced my ball joints and UCA's and now hear a loud humming noise when driving and can't seemed to figure it out. decided to check here before i head to a shop.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by Shilono
Has anyone figured out what the cause of this was? I have the same issue with my 2012 F150. Had new ball joints, tires and alignment done and now the humming noise. I took it back and now they say I need a new transfer case.
Same problem except was told that I need new wheel bearings. No noise before ball joint and control arms replaced. Now road hum which starts in after 5 mins of driving. Not there when
in 4wheel drive

Old 03-22-2021, 08:33 AM
I had a similar issue with my 07 Lariat Supercrew. I finally pulled both rotor assemblies and the one on driver's side front was bluish from heat. I replace the rotor with bearing already pressed in, and all is well.

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 259 Likes on 250 Posts
^^ That is for a 2wd truck.

However, it could be bearings if it was a 4wd too, just those are separate.

The following users liked this post:

Quick Reply: New ball joints...now humming noise???