So my new project is a lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 11:45 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So my new project is a lift

alright so i've been looking at all these nice trucks and i have decided to look into a lift. I have not yet figured out if i would like a 6" or 4" kit. My truck already has a 2.5" leveling kit on it and 35" toyo mts. I just kind of want to "untuck" my wheels from the wheel wells. Seeing im still in college, i am on a budget but would like to keep things under 2 grand if possible. I am pretty sure i can install it myself so im not including install cost in that.

With that being said, i would rather not have to buy new rims. I have the 06 stock 18" rims. i am no expert on backspacing and offsets and everything but from what i have seen on here the stock rims have a backspacing of 5.5". I just want to know what lifts are available for me that will fit in my budget or close to it and allow me to use my rim and wheel combo i already have. Thanks for suggestions. I have already done everything i know to do and im still stuck.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Suspended
The only lift that will allow your stock wheels is the rancho 4" lift.

If you want 6" of lift you can keep your leveling kit installed when you install it.

Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. The Rancho will allow you to use your OEM wheels.

Old 02-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
The only lift that will allow your stock wheels is the rancho 4" lift.

If you want 6" of lift you can keep your leveling kit installed when you install it.
If you keep the spacer up front you will need either a taller block or add-a-leaf in the back to sit level. If you don't add anything to the back you'll sit about 2.5" high in the front

Old 02-01-2012, 08:44 PM
Originally Posted by Msbowhunter
alright so i've been looking at all these nice trucks and i have decided to look into a lift. I have not yet figured out if i would like a 6" or 4" kit. My truck already has a 2.5" leveling kit on it and 35" toyo mts. I just kind of want to "untuck" my wheels from the wheel wells. Seeing im still in college, i am on a budget but would like to keep things under 2 grand if possible. I am pretty sure i can install it myself so im not including install cost in that.

With that being said, i would rather not have to buy new rims. I have the 06 stock 18" rims. i am no expert on backspacing and offsets and everything but from what i have seen on here the stock rims have a backspacing of 5.5". I just want to know what lifts are available for me that will fit in my budget or close to it and allow me to use my rim and wheel combo i already have. Thanks for suggestions. I have already done everything i know to do and im still stuck.
Go an extra 6 for 8.5 total...If you go 4 you will want more...I have 6" cranked with an aal for a total of 8", wishing I went with a 8" rise with 2 additional for 10"...Go big....

Old 02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
Suspended
^^ except he wants stock wheels. With out wheel spacers (bad idea) that's not possible.

He can get 6.5" from suspension and always add a 3" body lift later on if he wants to go larger.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:18 PM
Hey guys I'm thinking about doing just the 4". I like the looks of the truck being proportionally correct if that makes sense. I like the 35s but i don't need a huge jacked up truck. I just don't want my tires to look too big for my truck anymore.

So with that said i know rancho, rough country, and bds have 4" kits. is the rancho the only one that i can use my stock rims with?

Oh and yeah i might leave the 2.5 level on for 6.5" of lift but we will just have to see how it looks.

Old 02-01-2012, 09:24 PM
Suspended
BDS recommends 4 5/8" backspacing
RCX recommends 4 1/2" backspacing

so no you can't run stock wheels.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Save up and do the Rancho. You will love it with the stock wheels seeing how everyone else with a Rancho all say good things about them.

Old 02-02-2012, 04:40 PM

coming from a college kid stand point, i'd do the rancho 4", if you get autoanything emails, they have sales every once in a while with coupon codes, and probably have a rancho 4" for 1700 shipped to your door. although 1) i dont know if that includes shocks, and 2) i know you can get more lift for the same price but the rancho lift is just a very well built and thought-out lift, the quality jumps out

Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks for all the replies. I found the kit at 4wheelonline.com for $1,496. It is on sale. But i dont think that includes shocks. Do i even need new shocks? or will i be able to use my stock shocks? Its not like i want to use my stock ones but like i said i am on a budget and shocks can always come later if thats possible. Just to save an extra few hundred bucks.

and also does anyone know if the RS9000XL adjustable shocks are any better than the standard RS5000 ones? It just seems like a lot could go wrong with an adjustable firmness shock like that. Anyone have experience with either?

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 PM
do a search on the forum and google about 4wheelonline.com. tons of terrible reviews. i would be VERY wary about buying from them. would just hate to see you get burned especially since youre on a tight budget.

oh and btw...the install is pretty straight forward. just make sure you have a 2nd person to help you muscle the front diff. its pretty heavy and awkward. i installed a pro comp stage 2 on my 06 fx4 and was pretty simple. air tools make life very easy!!

Old 02-03-2012, 10:48 PM

^agreed!

Quick Reply: So my new project is a lift