Has anybody else had major problems with Fabtech?

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Has anybody else had major problems with Fabtech?

I got a 6" Fabtech lift on my 2006 4x4 f150 about 6,000 miles ago. I got the kit with the dirt logic front coil-overs (kit part# K2003). Everything was good for a few thousand miles, then I started to notice a loud clunk every time I hit a bump on or off road. I looked at the driver's side coil over and the coil spring had moved off to one side and was rubbing on the body of the shock. I figured it was a defective part so I sent it back to Fabtech and they "fixed" it for free by putting a new spring on it. Not 100 miles after putting the "fixed" strut back on, it was worse than before. I called Fabtech and told them what was going on, and they said I must have gotten the first generation of dirt logic coil overs that didn't have a good coil spring seat. They sent me 2 brand new coil overs for free; these were supposed to be redesigned and not have that problem any more. They look exactly the same to me. I put them on and not even 50 miles later, both of them are rattling and clunking worse than the original ones. I'm getting extremely sick of taking my truck apart and putting it back together still messed up. What's the deal with these things? How can every dirt logic coil over be bad? Has anybody else had problems with dirt logic? I always thought their stuff was supposed to be top of the line

Last edited by MossyOak3006; 10-30-2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old 10-31-2011, 01:48 AM
Hmm don't know what to tell ya man sounds like a frustrating situation. I have the dirtlogic coils minus the 6 inch lift on my 07 and I've yet to have a problem. Hope someone else can chime in and help you out, good luck.

Last edited by TPAYNE; 10-31-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 10-31-2011, 03:03 AM
Post Similar

I don't know if it's all Fabtechs fault. I have a 6" Procomp lift and I am hearing the same thing on the front. My springs haven't moved but the metallic rattling that I'm hearing seems to be coming from where the the front differential driveline meets the CV boot. I just can't pinpoint it.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by Kenzo220
I don't know if it's all Fabtechs fault. I have a 6" Procomp lift and I am hearing the same thing on the front. My springs haven't moved but the metallic rattling that I'm hearing seems to be coming from where the the front differential driveline meets the CV boot. I just can't pinpoint it.
I'm pretty certain it's my coilovers. The noise has changed both times I changed the coilovers and I can hit the spring with my hand and make it hit the shock and make the same noise I hear while driving

Old 10-31-2011, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear you are having problems, I understand how annoying it can be.

Fabtech is a midrange kit, the next thing up from Rancho. It's good if it not used too much. If you want high end you need to look into King coilovers or ICON or Camburg. These are whats referred to as True coilovers and are a different animal. If you have the funds then I'd recommend buying a set of these. With most of them they can set the shocks to ride how you like and you can adjust the heights too.

Old 10-31-2011, 12:11 PM
Originally Posted by Dtm030
Sorry to hear you are having problems, I understand how annoying it can be.

Fabtech is a midrange kit, the next thing up from Rancho. It's good if it not used too much. If you want high end you need to look into King coilovers or ICON or Camburg. These are whats referred to as True coilovers and are a different animal. If you have the funds then I'd recommend buying a set of these. With most of them they can set the shocks to ride how you like and you can adjust the heights too.
How much would a pair of those run me? I would need to get a refund or something from Fabtech to be able to get anything else. I can't just throw $1000 away

Old 10-31-2011, 12:21 PM
For a set of kings or fox coil-overs check polyperformance. But if I remember right a set of 2.5"s was about 800 or so plus and 2.0's where a little cheaper. Also look into sway-away, FOA, and bilstein make's some real nice coil-overs like the 9500 series. Icon's are good but they're a little more show and name than go. But any of those would be better than the fabtech ones.

Old 10-31-2011, 01:00 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
For a set of kings or fox coil-overs check polyperformance. But if I remember right a set of 2.5"s was about 800 or so plus and 2.0's where a little cheaper. Also look into sway-away, FOA, and bilstein make's some real nice coil-overs like the 9500 series. Icon's are good but they're a little more show and name than go. But any of those would be better than the fabtech ones.
That's no more expensive than the dirt logics. I can't get any others unless I somehow got a refund for the ones I have now which I doubt will happen

Old 10-31-2011, 02:04 PM
I don't know how much dirt logics cost, I just know the quality is a lot better than something with the fabtech name on it. Like Dtm030 said they're a mid-range kit, good for a lot of show but not a whole lot of go.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
I don't know how much dirt logics cost, I just know the quality is a lot better than something with the fabtech name on it. Like Dtm030 said they're a mid-range kit, good for a lot of show but not a whole lot of go.
The truck is my daily driver, so I don't do any ridiculous rock crawling or anything with it. They should be able to hold up to what I do. I live in Alabama, and there aren't any really punishing suspension things to do around here like jumping in the desert and stuff that would tear anything up. Most of what I do is mud and bumpy roads. Fabtech is going to examine the original coil overs they sent me replacements for and see why this is happening so I should know Friday or Monday

Old 10-31-2011, 05:53 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
hey mossy, sorry to hear about the frustration your going through, i THINK, not sure but i believe 08fx4 was going through some dilemmas with his 09 fabtech also, had some wierd sounds up front should send him a pm

Old 10-31-2011, 06:30 PM
The King shocks will be about $1500 for a pair but they'll be the last pair you'll buy. I want some but don't wanna spend the money on them just yet, so I feel ya on that one.
Here's what they look like.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:18 PM
Suspended
before you drop a grand on your truck, take it to an off road shop who knows what they are doing and ask them to do a look over and verify it's the coil overs.

if they verify it's the coil overs, do you still have the originals? if so, sell both sets hopefully getting around $1200-$1300 then buy a set of nicer coil overs.

Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by Dtm030
The King shocks will be about $1500 for a pair but they'll be the last pair you'll buy. I want some but don't wanna spend the money on them just yet, so I feel ya on that one.
Here's what they look like.
I don't know if I could spend that much. I've already spent so much on the truck

Old 10-31-2011, 07:19 PM
Originally Posted by fine_style150
hey mossy, sorry to hear about the frustration your going through, i THINK, not sure but i believe 08fx4 was going through some dilemmas with his 09 fabtech also, had some wierd sounds up front should send him a pm
Thanks I'll do that

Quick Reply: Has anybody else had major problems with Fabtech?