The Do's and Don'ts of Lifts

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 08:19 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Thanks for the input I'll go back and edit that along with add the info for the 04-08. See what I was thinking was with the blocks there and a large amount of weight it would possibly cause axle wrap faster than it would on a truck with no blocks. Also I was thinking that since majority of people forget to regear it would cause even more stress on the transmission with larger tires and the same amount of weight they might be used to normally hauling.
well yeah you're right there about axle wrap, but usually it's not noticable on our trucks. now on a diesel or something with a lot more power it would become a problem.

Old 09-04-2011, 08:24 PM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
well yeah you're right there about axle wrap, but usually it's not noticable on our trucks. now on a diesel or something with a lot more power it would become a problem.
Yea that's true, I didn't even think to factor in the power ratio.

Old 09-05-2011, 11:28 AM
Originally Posted by dilloncawthon
i believe the towing part is wrong. as long as the tires that you bought have the same rating you can tow the same amount. blocks do nothing to decrease the leaf springs weight handling ability.

aftermarket leaf springs however, are usually softer and decrease your towing capacity.
True to an extent but the large blocks create a larger moment of torque at the ubolts. Considering how weak the 1/2 ton leafs are going larger than a 4" block with no other leaf modification such as traction bars or add-a-leaf creates a large amount of axle wrap when towing. My neighbor was next to me when I had 5.5" blocks and said when I took off with the trailer my pinion moved up about 2" for a second or two, lot or wrap. I also had a lot of driveline vibration when towing.

Old 09-05-2011, 02:47 PM
nice write up dude. One thing im curious about is wheel spacers. ive a lot of bad stuff about em, but it seems like as long as you put them on perfect, and retorque them frequently they're alright? the reason im askin is cause the doetsch spindles i got are going to push my front wheels out about an inch and a half. so id like to get 1.5 inch back wheel spacers

Old 09-05-2011, 03:28 PM
Originally Posted by RichardM
nice write up dude. One thing im curious about is wheel spacers. ive a lot of bad stuff about em, but it seems like as long as you put them on perfect, and retorque them frequently they're alright? the reason im askin is cause the doetsch spindles i got are going to push my front wheels out about an inch and a half. so id like to get 1.5 inch back wheel spacers
The consensus on them seems to me 1/8" or 1/4" is bearable but anything over that is starting to push highly unsafe with the added stress on the studs, it can cause a wheel to fall off from sheering off the studs. Also I wouldn't widen the rear track width for the reason of next time you hit a bump or have weight in the bed it'll tuck the tires into the bedsides and bend them all up.

And since your considering doestch spindles I'd recommend either springtech or canuck motorsports over them. They're all the same brand and it'll save you a little bit of cash.

Old 09-05-2011, 03:37 PM
lol we went through the brand thing already. it didn't save me any money. but i feel like it will look weird with the front wheels 1.5 inches wider than the back?

Old 09-05-2011, 03:45 PM
I have a friend that is using these right now, they have never came loose yet and have held torque just as the wheel did without the spacers.

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/Al...76&t_pl=103343

Old 09-05-2011, 04:15 PM
lol we went through the brand thing already. it didn't save me any money. but i feel like it will look weird with the front wheels 1.5 inches wider than the back?
Haha oh yea I forgot about that. And I don't really mind mine with it being wider in the front, frankly I like the widened stance of the front. But it's all really personal opinion. I'd say put the spindles on and if you don't like the way it looks then go from there. And back to the spacer's they're kinda hit or miss so people have constant problems with them, other's run them forever without having a single problem.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:38 AM
jerhelo, does your friend happen to have a spindle lift? im getting one and they push the tires out 1.5 inches and im just curious if the 1.5 inch spacers perfectly match that? also how do the bolt pattern measurements work/ 5 x 4.5 and 5 x 5. i realize the first number is the number of wheel lugs currently on the factory rotor. is the second number the distance between 2 of the lugs across from eachother?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:15 AM
Yes but with 5 lugs it is to the opposite side, in between the lugs. Our bolt pattern in 5x135mm so it is 135 mm to the midpoint between the opposite 2 lugs

Old 09-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Technical Article Contributor

changes to your leaf front. you forgot a mini spring pack and you also forgot hangers

Old 09-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by thejake1989
changes to your leaf front. you forgot a mini spring pack and you also forgot hangers
Cool thanks man, I'll add it as soon as I'm outta class and can use a computer instead of my phone ha.

Old 09-06-2011, 10:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
excellent write up

Old 09-06-2011, 10:25 AM
Originally Posted by camopaint0707
excellent write up
Thanks man!

Old 09-06-2011, 10:42 AM
Technical Article Contributor

Originally Posted by pizzaman711
Cool thanks man, I'll add it as soon as I'm outta class and can use a computer instead of my phone ha.
np. if you got a question on it i can help

Quick Reply: The Do's and Don'ts of Lifts