Procomp stage 1 or stage 2??? HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 08:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Procomp stage 1 or stage 2??? HELP

I am sure that this question has been asked a hundred times. I am looking to get a procomp 6" lift but can't decide between the stage 1 or 2.

Are the coilovers worth the extra grand? It just seems like a lot of money for some shocks....

I was also told that I could go with 37's with the stage 2 kit but not with the stage 1 kit. Also will the 37" destroy the IFS? Last time I had tires that big I had a solid axle.

Will 37's fit with the stage 1?

Old 06-01-2011, 08:37 PM
I would personally get the stage 1 and then install Bilstein 4-6in lift shocks instead of the spacer.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM
I got lucky and fell into the stage II lift. The coilovers are nice. I cant vouche for how the stage I kit rides, but I think it rides tons better with the aftermarket suspension that i have. And they look awesome.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Big_Smokey
I got lucky and fell into the stage II lift. The coilovers are nice. I cant vouche for how the stage I kit rides, but I think it rides tons better with the aftermarket suspension that i have. And they look awesome.
What size tire did you fit? I want at least 35's but would like 37's. I am a little apprehensive about going with 37's with the IFS though...I am one of those people that need to be talked into it....HA...Thanks

Old 06-01-2011, 09:15 PM
Well as of now I am leaving the stage II at 6". And i have 305/55/20s on it. actally doesnt look all that bad. However for me i feel like 6" is enough. I am going to put a set of 35" MT of some kind on it. 37's have been done with IFS and wheeled pretty hard by some guys on here. I beleive JOSIAH of all people has put it through the ringer and done ok...As a street queen or weekend toy/hunting rig that size tire wouldnt be a big deal. Bigger heavier tires will naturally cause things to wear a little faster.

Trust me i want and can still do 37's, but im happy with it at just 6". I can go up later. Thats what the game is....if you are thinking bigger now go ahead and do it or at least set yourself up for a quick adjustment. as you can see they are a tad small, but are better then before!!
[IMG][/IMG]

Old 06-01-2011, 09:20 PM
Well as of now I am leaving the stage II at 6". And i have 305/55/20s on it. actally doesnt look all that bad. However for me i feel like 6" is enough. I am going to put a set of 35" MT of some kind on it. 37's have been done with IFS and wheeled pretty hard by some guys on here. I beleive JOSIAH of all people has put it through the ringer and done ok...As a street queen or weekend toy/hunting rig that size tire wouldnt be a big deal. Bigger heavier tires will naturally cause things to wear a little faster.

Trust me i want and can still do 37's, but im happy with it at just 6". I can go up later. Thats what the game is....if you are thinking bigger now go ahead and do it or at least set yourself up for a quick adjustment. as you can see they are a tad small, but are better then before!!
[IMG][/IMG]
I agree it does look great. I am thinking 35's and I am sure that about a month after I put 35's on it I will wish I put 37's. Has anyone put 37's with just the stage 1 kit only?

Old 06-03-2011, 12:30 AM
The reason guys are saying that you can clear 37" with a stage 2 is that you can add more lift by adding pretension to the coils. That's great if you want the look, but it negates the great ride that you get from the coilover. You might as well stick with a stage 1 and do a body lift.

Let me suggest another route. Do the stage 1 plus a full length replacement strut OR the Trail Master kit which gives you the same thing, plus a front driveshaft. You'll have the premium ride without the price of a stage 2. Search for Swazo's post on this. Then you can do a body lift if you want the 37".

Old 06-03-2011, 11:20 AM
I have the had the stage 2 for 4 years and 35,000 miles. Couldn't be happier with the kit. I kept the stock ride height and just trimmed the inner and front fender to fit 37" dc fun country's. These trucks make 35's look tiny imo. Lift has not failed me yet, and i have beat the truck pretty hard. Check my highlights vid in my sig for an example. If your going to try and fit 37's make sure you check the specs of the tires your going to run, my DC's run smaller than Toyo's. Spec on mine are 36.6 tall by 13.5 wide. Toyo's are 37" tall and almost 14.5" wide even through they say it's a 13.5.

As far as tearing up your IFS, IDk what others experience has been but I have had no issues and I'm on the stock upper control arms. A couple years back when i was more active here i remember everybody upgrading their upper control arms because everyone thought they couldn't handle 37's or 35's. 60,000 miles on mine, with over half with big tires and some solid offroading and not one issue.

Last edited by Big50; 06-03-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:08 PM
Originally Posted by Ibrocun
The reason guys are saying that you can clear 37" with a stage 2 is that you can add more lift by adding pretension to the coils. That's great if you want the look, but it negates the great ride that you get from the coilover. You might as well stick with a stage 1 and do a body lift.

Let me suggest another route. Do the stage 1 plus a full length replacement strut OR the Trail Master kit which gives you the same thing, plus a front driveshaft. You'll have the premium ride without the price of a stage 2. Search for Swazo's post on this. Then you can do a body lift if you want the 37".
i dont think that many people have needed front driveshafts for 8" of lift have they? or did you mean a spacer for the front which will come with the lift kit anyway?

Old 06-03-2011, 08:34 PM
Suspended
cranking coilovers to 8" will not ruin their ride. it will be a little stiffer but nothing terrible.

if you want coilovers get them, if you can't justify them and want 8" of lift just get bilsteins or a suspension lift that does not use a spacer and get an AS spacer for the top.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Originally Posted by 06yz250f
if you want coilovers get them, if you can't justify them and want 8" of lift just get bilsteins or a suspension lift that does not use a spacer and get an AS spacer for the top.
This is what I am going to do when I lift my truck. I already have 2.5in AS and 1.5in AAL, so I will get the Bilstein 4-6in lift shocks, and a stage 1 6in lift

Old 06-03-2011, 11:04 PM
On my F-150 I went with the stage I then added a 2" AS to clear 37's. If I had known from the start I would have gone with the Stage II. The coilovers look a lot better and adjusted to 2" of extra lift have a smoother ride than what the AS or Bilsteins will have. The Bilsteins will be smoother than the AS. So if it were me I'd get them that way if you do decide to run 37's you just need to adjust them. And after you have 35's for a while and see all the F-150'S with 6" lifts and 35's from the factory you will want to go bigger to be different.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by Ibrocun

I am just having a little bit of a hard time spending an extra grand for the stage 2 kit.

My concern is how long the front struts last for, my truck has 40k Mileage wise and will have to replace them eventually anyways through. Also will the factory coils sag? I like the adjustability of the coilover.

I am just wanting a kit that I can put on and not touch for a very long time. I originally put 30k on the truck the first year I owned it. It is an 06 and I only have 40k so I don't drive it a lot and really don't want to be working on it a lot either.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:28 PM
Originally Posted by jerhelo
I am just having a little bit of a hard time spending an extra grand for the stage 2 kit.

My concern is how long the front struts last for, my truck has 40k Mileage wise and will have to replace them eventually anyways through. Also will the factory coils sag? I like the adjustability of the coilover.

I am just wanting a kit that I can put on and not touch for a very long time. I originally put 30k on the truck the first year I owned it. It is an 06 and I only have 40k so I don't drive it a lot and really don't want to be working on it a lot either.
If you read Swazo's thread, he seems pretty happy with this:

http://www.central4wd.com/inventoryd...folder%7C98364

Here's the thread:

https://www.f150online.com/forums/su...er-6-lift.html

Stage 2 performance without the price tag.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:31 PM
i dont think that many people have needed front driveshafts for 8" of lift have they? or did you mean a spacer for the front which will come with the lift kit anyway?
If you do some searching you'll find some people complaining of vibration, others don't. I can't speak from expereince, I went the body lift route.

Quick Reply: Procomp stage 1 or stage 2??? HELP