Shocks - Monroe Sensi-trac vs Rancho rs5000

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2011, 05:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shocks - Monroe Sensi-trac vs Rancho rs5000

stock height 1999 f150, which shock would you reccomend for daily driving?
210,000kms and still on stock shocks

Old 04-07-2011, 07:35 PM
ive read many posts from other users, but i ask this because they are both on sale right now.
i dont do any offroading, and its a daily driver. most opinions expressed in this forum are for lifted trucks or off road applications

Old 04-07-2011, 08:01 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
That info still applies as most manufactures make the exact same shock for both lifted and stock applications with the only difference being the length of the shock, not the design/valving. With that said, just say no to Monroe.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:56 PM
if your even thinking about monroe, the only way to go with them is to get the reflex's. i have rs5000's on the back of my expy and sensatracks on the front. the sensatracks are total garbage and the ranchos made the ride stiff but controled. I say reflex's

Old 04-07-2011, 11:32 PM
So 1 of you is against monroe for life, and the other likes the reflex's.

would you take the reflexs over the rs5000's?

Old 04-08-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't think the other guy necessairily likes the Monroe...I think he's saying if you're set on Monroe, then go with the Reflex.

There's waaaaay better shocks out there than either one of these and you've probably read about them if you've been searching. But if you're on a budget or just not willing to spend the cash on good shocks, (or dead set on one of the two you listed for some reason) then I'd get the 5000's.

Old 04-08-2011, 09:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the Monroe Reflex on the front and the Monroe Load Adjusters on the back. They have been great so far and the warranty is hard to beat.

I have had Ranchos, Bilsteins and KYBs on other vehicles. The only ones I really didn't like were the KYBs and that was because they didn't last. The ride was great but they only lasted just over a year. The Monroe Reflexes are slightly softer than the Ranchos and Bilsteins and the Sensi-tracs will be softer yet. It all depends on how firm you want your truck to ride and how much money you want to spend. IMO I would stay away from KYB but any of the other 3 would be a safe bet.

Old 04-08-2011, 04:40 PM
really its just a matter of personal preference. the ranchos are a stiffer ride and reflexes adjust to what surface your going over.

I probably sound like a salesman but if you want a median between the rs5000's and the bilsteins, the reflexes are the way to go

ever hear of the rancho rsx? they are now discontinued but the reflex uses the exact same design, just with different colors on the shock and under a different name

ranchos are like 54$
reflexes are around 48$ bilstiens are $70+

Old 04-08-2011, 05:30 PM
Originally Posted by blu3expy
really its just a matter of personal preference. the ranchos are a stiffer ride and reflexes adjust to what surface your going over.

I probably sound like a salesman but if you want a median between the rs5000's and the bilsteins, the reflexes are the way to go

ever hear of the rancho rsx? they are now discontinued but the reflex uses the exact same design, just with different colors on the shock and under a different name

ranchos are like 54$
reflexes are around 48$ bilstiens are $70+
Yep blu3expy is dead on. Before they closed the plant in a neighboring town Monroe and Rancho shocks came out of the same door, only difference was the packaging.

Old 04-08-2011, 05:57 PM
Monroe sensatracs are garbo....

I went through three set on my 02 and they all "clicked" after 7000km..

Take them off and one of the 2 fronts was alway pooched...

They have serious rebound issues those shocks, and would never recommend them.

Go for the monotube reflex if you go with monroe....

The RS5000's are no better, they are virtually the same thing as a sensatrac or basic monroe...

Why not just spend the extra bit and get some KYB Monomax's...

They are not particular to offroad, but are quite stiff for cornering.

It will stiffen the hell out of your ride and your truck will handle like a dream.

But I doubt you will go with them....

You sound like you don't want to spend any money.

Old 04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
5000's are an off road shock, so they are stiff. reflex is an on/off road shock. its like an all terrain tire. best of all worlds, but dosent take home the gold for any category. if your all road driving I would suggest the reflexes, because they are ready for anything. they are cheaper then the 5000's and Im not sure but I believe that they have a lifetime warranty

Old 04-08-2011, 06:10 PM
5000's have a bit bigger rod, but by no means are they an offroad shock as far as I'm concerned.

I had them on my 92 f150, and they ride like a Monoroe...

Because they are exactly the same.

The reflex's are going to be better because they are a monotube design instead of a twin tube...

Monotubes on the rear of an ORV is asking for trouble if a rock hits them....

No more up and down if they get dented...

Twin tubes have a second wall which will make for better protection....Or more like.."they willl still work if dented"

Old 04-08-2011, 06:15 PM
which ever way you decide to go: ranco 5000's, monroe reflexes or bilstien or kyb's or whatever, your ride will be FAR better than the current ride is! just dont go with cheapo monroes, you would be better off with no shocks at all(exaggeration)

Old 04-08-2011, 06:25 PM
Originally Posted by blu3expy
which ever way you decide to go: ranco 5000's, monroe reflexes or bilstien or kyb's or whatever, your ride will be FAR better than the current ride is! just dont go with cheapo monroes, you would be better off with no shocks at all(exaggeration)

Old 04-08-2011, 07:57 PM
thanks for all the input, and yah i am doing shocks on a budget as you can tell by my selections. Dont want to spend the money on expensive shocks right now when there are other things more pressing atm.
i really appreciate the info, most threads are comparing high end shocks and what is "best" for off roading or such.... i just need quality on a budget.

Quick Reply: Shocks - Monroe Sensi-trac vs Rancho rs5000