Replace now or wait?? Need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 12:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replace now or wait?? Need some opinions

First off I would like to say sorry for the long post.

Truck= 2006 F-150 Supercrew 4x4 5.4 3.73LS

Ok here is the deal. I will be leaving August 30th to begin my training for the Texas Army National Guard and will not return until around May of 2011. My truck will be sitting in my driveway for the about 9 months that I will be gone. It will be getting minimum to zero driving by family. The truck has 63,000 miles on it. I've had my 6" lift and 35's on it for 48,000 of those miles. I still have the stock ball joints, tie rod end, and everything on the front suspension. I can tell that it is time to replace everything. Finally heres the big question. Should I wait until I return to replace everything or go ahead and knock it in a weekend? Will it really and truly make any difference if I wait or not? Since my truck will mostly be sitting while I'm gone it's not gonna be putting any wear and tear on the front end correct? And if I'm going to replace "everything" what all would that consist of? Ball joints / tie rod ends / pitman arm /idler arm/ bushings (control arm and sway bar) / sway bar end link. Anything else??

Thank you for yall's help!!

Last edited by BLUEBEAST06FX4; 06-30-2010 at 12:18 PM.
Old 06-30-2010, 04:15 PM
That seems a little overboard to replace everything there unless it all truly needs it. Are you just guessing they need to be replaced cause I thought the same thing about mine since I have 64,000 miles and the front end was riding like crap. But I brought it to my ford dealer and had a front end check and it just ended up being the inner right tie rod was loose and worn out and they said everything else looks great which was a surprise to me cause I do quite a bit of offroading in the summer times here with my 2.5" leveling kit. I would say bring it in and get a front end check and see what they say. Good luck in Texas! I leave August 23rd for Parris Island so I will be leaving my truck behind also for quite some time.

Old 06-30-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah I'm mostly airing on the side of caution because it is definently riding rough. How much did your dealer charge for a front end check?? Good luck with the Marines!

Quick Reply: Replace now or wait?? Need some opinions