Help!! Can leveling kit void powertrain warranty

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 01:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Help!! Can leveling kit void powertrain warranty

This is my first post and unfortunatly it's not for a good reason. I had a 2" leveling kit installed on my 2011 F150 lariat 4x4. I have 9000 miles on it and noticed that I have a vibration/clanking noise when I would go over a small bump or press the brake or gas. I re-tightened everything on my front end and it didn't fix my problem so I brought it in to a local tire shop to get it re-aligned for a 2nd time. The tire shop just called and said that the vibraition/nosie is not coming from my front end and that it is a drivetrain problem. It appears that it's coming front differential.

Can a 2" leveling kit void my warranty on my drivetrain or should my warranty cover this repair?

Old 01-26-2012, 02:06 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
depends on the dealer and how they interpret the tsb....

Old 01-26-2012, 02:33 PM
steering gear

I just got off the phone with the dealership and explained my problem. I told them that I had the 2" leveling kit and the vibration problem. They were very friendly and said that the leveling kit should not cause a transmission problem and from what I expained that it's more than likely the steering gear that needs to be replaced and it should be covered. She told me to bring the truck in and they'll fix her up.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:42 PM
Global Moderator &

Received 68 Likes on 64 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdcoastf150
I just got off the phone with the dealership and explained my problem. I told them that I had the 2" leveling kit and the vibration problem. They were very friendly and said that the leveling kit should not cause a transmission problem and from what I expained that it's more than likely the steering gear that needs to be replaced and it should be covered. She told me to bring the truck in and they'll fix her up.
Good deal. You have a very nice dealer.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:44 PM
Technical Article Contributor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by 3rdcoastf150
Nice....good to hear they'll help you out.....

Old 01-27-2012, 09:07 AM
^ Ive heard those kind words before until i went to go pick the truck up again and they told me the truck wasnt going tobe covered anymore so just watch out with what they say because they will get you sometiems.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
i would of taken the spacer off then took it to the dealer for warranty work

Old 01-27-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would too. Not worth taking a chance on voiding that warranty.

Old 01-27-2012, 12:37 PM
Originally Posted by StoveTop
I would too. Not worth taking a chance on voiding that warranty.
yupp because they will put it into their system saying you modified the truck and voided the warranty and any ford will look that stuff up

Old 01-31-2012, 11:04 AM
Red face Truck is at dealership

I left the leveling kit on my truck and brought it to the dealership this morning. Last week I took my truck to independent mechanic to double check my front end/leveling kit or to see if was a suspension problem from the leveling kit. The mechanic told me that it was coming from the "drivetrain" and was nothing to do with the leveling kit. I let the mechanic at Ford drive it this morning and was told that it sounded like the steering gear but it needed to be looked at to determine the problem.

I guess I'm the guinea pig on this one. I'll be PO'd if they tell me that my truck with 9500 miles is no longer under warranty because of a leveling kit.:o

Old 01-31-2012, 12:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Would be interested to see the outcome. Like said its a dealer related thing

Old 02-07-2012, 05:42 PM
Update

Here's an update. I took my truck in to the dealership and it stayed there for 3 days. The mechanics had a tough time trying to find out what was making the vibration. I believe it ended up being a problem with the drivers side tie-rod. I would be willing to bet the problem came about when the leveling kit was installed. Anyway, the dealership was great. They replaced the tie-rod, checked the leveling kitl, re-aligned my truck, rotated the tires, did a 40+point inspection and even washed it. All under warranty except for the tire rotation which came out to $21. I couldn't be more pleased with the service department.
I talked to the gal in the service department and she told me that 90% of the new 4x4's are coming in with leveling kits and they are installing most of the kits at the dealership. I gave her the company name that installed my level (not dealer installed) and she told me no problem and that it would not void any of my warranty.
Cheers

Old 02-07-2012, 07:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Congrats! glad to hear it worked out for you!

Quick Reply: Help!! Can leveling kit void powertrain warranty